Boat unstable on plane

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat unstable on plane

Man reading this thread was just comedy!
"18 mph, Very dangerous in 6" chops! (that's six INCHES")
I have a 16' bow-rider weighs only 750lbs. with a little 70hp Johnny and I plow through 2' chops with no problem @ 30 mph.
I'm new to boating but it doesn't feel scary at all, for me anyways.

The only time the chops do effect me is when I go really slow.
When I'm at speeds my boat plows through the waves but when I slow down the waves pick me up.

Sorry if I wasn't gentle with my post and hold your hand through this but the truth is the truth!
Man up, and quit being so sensitive.
If it's really that scary then something is really wrong with your boat.
Good luck.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, that was partially my point. The problem is prone to occurring (again, if I were to let it, but I don't because I know how to drive my boat lol) even in the slightest water disturbances.

I appreciate the answers guys. I think I'm going to start with tabs because I've been planning on doing that anyway for overall better handling/planing and if that doesn't seem to help this issue, I'll investigate further. Cheers :beer:

it *seems* that tabs would be a relatively inexpensive investment to help alleviate the problem as well as bring other benefits. But what do I know? I'm just a dirty jet boater :)

.Bennett

Seaman Apprentice

I had this EXACT same problem in my first boat.

boat was a 1960-ish alumimum (35hp max)
motor was a 1993 20hp johnson tracker

Let me first start by saying 20 HP is WAY to much for that boat.

I finally figured out the problem after my post count went up;
Long shaft motor on a short transom.

Excellent info, thank you!

And lol at your post count comment. I think low post count is likely my problem so I'm gonna start post-whoring ;)