Boat trailer tire rubbing on fender

ccm14

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 20' Ranger bay that sits on a single axle aluminum Ranger trailer. Had a flat coming home from my last trip and came to find out the tire was rubbing on the inside of the fender. I took off the fender and drilled out the holes where the bolts held the fender on the fender brackets so I could move the fender away from the tire and towards the boat hull but the tire (new one) still rubs the fender. After my adjustment the inside of the fender sits really close to the boat hull so I can't adjust the fender any further towards the boat hull. The boat looks as if it can sit a little further from the fender but every time I load the boat it always settles in the same spot, which is too close to the fender.

My questions are:

1. How can I adjust the way the boat sets on the trailer? If I had
access to a lift that I could raise the boat from the trailer I feel
I could adjust the bunks to make the boat sit further from the
fender, but I don't have access to a lift.

2. Any recommendations on how to cure this problem without
changing the way the boat sits on the trailer?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Charlie

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat trailer tire rubbing on fender

Ayuh,.... 1,... A jack, 'n a block of wood will allow you to raise the rollers or bunks, so the boat clears the trailer more...

2,... Smaller tires...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

mmmmmm I think you need to take a lot closer look at things. Some pictures would sure help, my guess if the tire and fender clearance is that close thier may be a bigger issue. The boat would all most have to be hanging over the side a foot or more to shift that much weight to compress the spring and let a tire rub. Thier should be several inches of clearance and on the inside of the fender. It suggests that the supension has changed and the axle has shifted out of square

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

The guy above nailed it. You've got suspension problems if this issue just suddenly appeared. Check the leaf springs, its not uncommon to crack one.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,.... 1,... A jack, 'n a block of wood will allow you to raise the rollers or bunks, so the boat clears the trailer more...

2,... Smaller tires...

Ditto. Have adjusted bunks on different trailers many times as specified.

You didn't specify your tire size. A narrower tire, like rather than a P235R-15 sort of thing you could use a bias ply rated 700-15 to get a narrow tire. Last trailer tires I bought were Shield brand 700-15 8 ply and were $40 each unmounted. Since I didn't have to balance them I went home and mounted them myself. On Shield tires, I currently have a tandem utility trailer with the bias tires and boat trailer running the radial and they have been on for several years. I am amazed that I can't find any cracking anywhere. I don't know what they use in their tire compound, but it certainly resists oxidation.

HTH,

Mark

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that happend to me.......started getting flats...tire rubbing on the fender........the axel had moved

ccm14

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I found out I had a bad axle (torsion suspension) The trailer was out of warranty for over 2 years but Ranger agreed to replace the axle if I would pay for the labor. I was happy.

Great boat and great customer service.

Charlie