Boat to store inside garage ?

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello guys, I am looking for a boat that will fit in my garage. The problem is, the garage is 19 ft 7 inches deep. It is a "double". The boat will need to be big enough for 2 adults and 2 small children.

I have found that the Yamaha AR190 will indeed fit. So that is an option. However, I was wondering if any other boat would fit ? I do like the idea of a jet drive. Not sure if there is anything else with storage length that small.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my 19 foot searay with a folding tongue on the trailer barely fit in a 22 foot garage

and that was with the prop leaving a mark on the back wall and about an inch between the door and the trailer tongue hinge

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The yamaha is probably your best bet. Any other boat around that size is going to be too long with the outboard or outdrive. Unless you store it at an angle which might gain you an extra foot

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is your DOUBLE garage made with 1 single WIDE door ? If yes ? You can easily back the trailer in at a 45 degree angle. and have loads of side and end clearances..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The height of the boat on the trailer is also a concern, especially if it has a windshield.

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The yamaha is probably your best bet. Any other boat around that size is going to be too long with the outboard or outdrive. Unless you store it at an angle which might gain you an extra foot
I think you are right. the outdrive easily adds 2-3 feet. but the Yamaha jets don't stick out.

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is your DOUBLE garage made with 1 single WIDE door ? If yes ? You can easily back the trailer in at a 45 degree angle. and have loads of side and end clearances..
yes that is correct. I would have about 21 feet in that case.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Height may be set low as a cheaper & quicker way to finish the original installation. Need to see how simple a readjustment of the UP Limit Switches would be.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 16' outboard runabout was my first boat and it handled our family of 4 until the kids were teenagers. In fact, it worked then as well, but at that point I could afford a bigger boat.

19-7 is classified as a 20 foot garage and that's what I had. No swing tongue either. If all else fails, cut the drywall our between 2 studs and it will have a handy place to slip the outdrive in.

Additionally, the boat handled the Niagara River and Lake Erie just fine.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Many folks add a small addition to the back of there garage to make a place for there OB to stick into. Only needs to be motor width and stick back a couple/ three feet, kinda like a refrigerator add on. My 16' SC with OB barely fits in a 24' deep garage with trailer tongue. So I built a 40' deep pole barn, problem solved !

I own a 19' SeaRay IO & with the out drive down, with it against the back wall the ball hitch comes within 9" of the garage door on a 24' garage.
The folding tongue trailers help but you are hard getting much of a boat in a 19'7" garage unless you angle it.
In addition for me to back the boat into the garage I have to take it off of the ball as the tandem wheels get on the concrete, then crank the trailer jack all the way down to get the windshield to clear the top of the garage clearance. Then I have to push the boat & trailer in by hand.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Hello guys, I am looking for a boat that will fit in my garage. The problem is, the garage is 19 ft 7 inches deep. It is a "double". The boat will need to be big enough for 2 adults and 2 small children.

I have found that the Yamaha AR190 will indeed fit. So that is an option. However, I was wondering if any other boat would fit ? I do like the idea of a jet drive. Not sure if there is anything else with storage length that small.
That 19 ft 7-in boat is probably sitting on a trailer and has an engine or outdrive at the back and the trailer has a couple feet of tongue out the front. Looks like the garage will be about three - four feet short.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
So I built a 40' deep pole barn, problem solved !
When I built my current house I planned ahead. Forty Eight Footer. My current 21' boat with car attached can be backed in all hitched up and ready to go tomorrow.

My wife's girlfriend says we have a garage with an attached house.

1714781447691.jpeg

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I had an 19’ outboard and a 20’x20’ garage. With the outboard and the trailer tongue it was longer than 20’. I got a trailer with a swing tongue. Then I backed the boat/trailer into one side of the garage and then pushed the front over so it was angled. The whole thing was about 22’ even with the tongue folded, but when I parked it on about a 40 degree angle it fit just fine.