boat title

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
what year did boats start having titles and how much trouble is it when they don't have one

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: boat title

boat with no title?

Varies by state.

If you're in texas, you might as well make yard art out of it.

Okay, if it don't have a motor on it, it doesn't need an annual registration sticker, so you can get by without a title. Otherwise, forget about it, Parks & Wildlife is way more anal about boat titles than Transportation is about cars.

If it has an outboard on it, you'll need a title to the motor as well. Same deal.

Unless it's an electric motor. Then you need the boat title, not the motor title.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

It really varies from state to state as some states dont even title boats but improper documention from a previous boat owner can be a real hassle. That is why you often see people advertise "clear title on boat and trailer" when they sell their boats because people who buy boats often know the headaches that can be involved. For instance I have a trailer here in NJ that I just bought with a boat. The previous owner had it 7 years and never transferred the registration of the trailer over to himself from the previous owner. No one knows where the previous owner is anymore as he moved away. I now have a trailer that is at this point unregisterable in NJ.

Its good in a way that the state is so tough about it because it basically stops people from stealing your boat and registering it in their own name. You must show proof of ownership.

There is a method in NJ to claim ownership on a vehicle/boat when one can not show proper proof of ownership. It is a 14 step process that involves advertising in local papers and sending certified letters to local Police Dept among 12 other things proving that the vehicle is not stolen .

If your question is posted because you are considering buying an untitled boat or trailer I suggest you definitely check with your local DMV. You could find yourself with something that can not be legally registered without a whole lot of trouble.

RWilson2526

Hey, how long do I have to be a cadet? This is good stuff I'm throwin' out there:D

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am selling a boat/trailer combo no motor and i am in Michigan

RWilson2526

50?!!! I dont think I have that many intelligent things to say.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

RWilson - In NJ you can register a trailer as "homemade". There are some hoops to jump through, but not as bad as the 14 step process. The process is outlined on the NJ Motor Vehicle Services website.. Sorry if this seems like a thread hijack, just wanted to pass on the info.

RWilson2526

Anyway back to my advice for what it is worth.....I'm assuming you have no title for the trailer or boat? If so I would either advertise it and tell people up front you have no paperwork and let them worry about it. If you let them know about it and you get your price then who cares...... or if it doesnt seem to sell go through the process with your DMV and get them BOTH registered in your name. Then when it sells it should be a relatively easy transfer over to the new owner.

I would assume this is universal from state to state but the boat and trailer are individual items that must be registered separately ....they do not "go together".

Maybe someone from Michigan can give you more information. Our DMV in NJ was very helpful in answering questions I could not find out online. You might have to be patient to get through their automated phone system but there is someone out there that can help you.

RWilson2526

thanks RHeagler......yea I am thinking of going that route actually...have to forge a few documents but I guess thats the lesser of 2 evils considering I'm using a 7 year old expired plate on it now!

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I built a utility trailer and had all the proper legitimate documents - parts receipts. The DMV clerk had a hard time understanding them and had to call her supervisor who also had a hard time. They thought a 5200 lb. axle meant it weighed 5200 lbs, so how could I register it for 2500 lb? Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is the "forged" documents will probably be easier for them to understand than ones from parts stores and steel suppliers.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

50?!!! I dont think I have that many intelligent things to say.

intelligence has nothing to do with - it's all about the post count. try "Dockside Chat" and/or "Stupid Human Tricks"

bassman284

Commander

intelligence has nothing to do with - it's all about the post count. try "Dockside Chat" and/or "Stupid Human Tricks"

Exactly. In this thread, for example, if you had made each paragraph into a separate post, you would be that many posts closer to a more imposing rank.