boat sunk help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this is a good one.....my buddy calls around noon on sunday in a panic,hurry the boats sinking!!!!i get there it looks like a jacuzzi!! yikes.so we bail it out for about an hour and a half.one tank of gas ..no good...the motor was partly sunk about up to the johnson sticker looks like some water got in under the cover.my question is do i need to do anything to the motor before attempting to start?i know fresh gas but just wondering is there is anything else i should do?any help or ideas is greatly appriciated.thank you <br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: boat sunk help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi spike, was the motor running when it went for the swim :rolleyes: <br /><br />Mike

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The water will rise right up the exhaust housing and into the cylinder, " cylinder's" if it was up to the decal. Remove the spark plug,s, blow it out, and start it up as soon as possible. Those machined parts will rust over-night.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the motor was running when it was submerged it should be disassembled before any attempt is made to start it, (according to the manual)<br /><br />Mike :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The Johnson sticker that the water level rose to, if you're speaking of the stickers that are about halfway up the hood, the water would have covered the starter solenoid, gained access to the cylinders, and at least the lower carburetor.<br /><br />The above situation, if this is what took place, will necessitate the replacement of the starter solenoid and ignition switch at a minimum, plus dismantle and clean/repair the electric starter.<br /><br />However for now.... remove from one side of the carburetors the bottom 7/16" hex bolt to drain the carburetors, then flush them out with a good fuel/oil mixture. This will assure that all the fuel lines, pump, etc are free of water contamination.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over to blow out all the water that is in the crankcase. Using new spark plugs, do whatever needs to be done to get the engine running, then let it run for some time at various rpm levels.<br /><br />The idea is to get the engine running NOW so as to prevent rusting which would take place almost immediately as R.J. states above, after which you can take your time in repairing whatever else is affected.

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys,no mike the motor wasnt running,looks like we will be ok.thanks joe,mike,rj will blow motor out and do as recomended..sorry about not getting back internet was downnnnnnnnnnn.<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi guys sorry bad internet!!!!!!!!!got the boat home tuesday pulled the plugs and cranked her over for a few minutes some water shot out of the cyclinder then seemed to dry out,then i squirted some two stroke and hand cranked the motor a few times to pickle the motor.this weekend i plan on draining the fuel tanks and get her back up and running.looks like everything is going to be ok(i hope)i was happy that it cranked real strong.ill keep ya posted on how the old girl feels after her bath....lol.the rain up here in mass is killing me.....any other ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated....thanks guys your the best....go patriots....<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bilge pump, float switch...... cheap insurance. I almost sunk one myself.

G DANE

Commander

Just be aware, as long as you havnt run it, there will be water in cranckcase and all bearings. Damage will occur rapidly - get it running NOW or you better disassemble it. Manual says to get it started within few hours.

CFronzek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All ball or roller bearings are made with very high carbon content steel. That means they will rust NOW. Waiting even a day can be the kiss of death.<br />Sorry to be so dramatic but I repaired machinery for 40 years and the number of water damaged bearings I replaced would fill a boxcar. <br />Charlie.

captainarcher

Recruit

They all right. Leaving it set is bad. motors can't sit very long after water has been in them. You may want to disassemble it if it sit more than one day or you may blow it up.

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the latest in the "thursday" saga.....put fresh gas in the tank mixed it a little rich turned the key and presto she fired up and ran then sputtered then ran then sputtered than finally ran pretty strong and true.i let the motor run for a good 45 minutes to an hour with changing of the rpms low to about 1500 to 1700 rpms.it sounded good and strong some white smoke(water?)alot of apologys to my very understanding neighbors we plan on taking it out on sunday weather permiting and making sure everything is ok.is there anything else i should do or look for?did i run it long enough?any more help or ideas is great i really appreiciate all your input and help.it did run smooth in all rpm ranges(good right?)thanks guys................<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> "THURSDAY"

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

alot of white smoke could mean blown head gasket or other... but they do smoke alot outta water.. might consider a Compression test to verify numbers, but then again it was partly under water...

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I would have run it for several hours ...

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Beat it hard and run it long, really should have done this the first day it went under. Need to get it really hot to dry everything out, I have been there/done that!<br /><br />Good luck!

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

took the old girl out on sat.cruised around for an hour at different speeds ,trolled for an hour(no fish)the engine ran fast and true it loves this cold weather!no smoke no funny noises so hopefully everything is ok.all electronics still working!!thankyou everyone for the help and input.......will keep ya posted if there are any further developments in the saga of "thursday"<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> ***THURSDAY***