Boat similar to Boston Whaler...

Is there boat with the construction quality (unsinkable) of a Boston Whaler but for slightly less money? I like Whalers for their build quality, but they seem really steep. Even old ones bring high $$$ when compared with other boats.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat similar to Boston Whaler...

Is there boat with the construction quality (unsinkable) of a Boston Whaler but for slightly less money? I like Whalers for their build quality, but they seem really steep. Even old ones bring high $$$ when compared with other boats.
I dont know what size whaler you're looking at, but a lot of manufactures has foam cored hulls these days. (Some not on all models; only certain sizes) Ranger, Cape Horn, Everglades, Edgewater, and Scout off the top of my head I would say Grady White as well but they're just as expensive. Scouts are nice, well rounded quality boats

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Triumph boats are billed as indestructable. Might want to take a look at them.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

my 1974 Aristocraft 19 is similarly built.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Del-Quay Dories are pretty nice.

The problem is that it costs a lot more to make hulls the way Whaler does than to make a shell hull. It only makes sense to carry the quality standards through to the details and rigging. That is going to make an expensive boat.

Most here know that I am a big fan of Bob Dougherty, who designed the classic Whalers of the 70s and 80s. I think he is also responsible for the Everglades and Edgewater designs, which I would expect to be comparable.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I've owned Whalers and lots of other boats and I know lots of people will say this or that brand is ALMOST the same and cheaper or Whalers are overpriced, but as was said above, once you have owned a boat a while and used it hard, you will find out what the extra dollars get you. I bought a new Whaler in 73, used it hard for 9 years and sold it for more than twice what I paid for it new. Many navies, the USCG and even the US Navy SEALS use Whalers! I never had to worry about things like bilge pumps or forgetting to put the drain plug in with a Whaler. The next boat I buy will be a Whaler, new or used, because I own a boat to USE it, not to work on it and replace a whole lot of the oem parts, because they built it to a price and not a quality standard. Buy a Whaler now, use it a LOT for the next 20 or 30 years, wax it occasionally and then sell it for at least as much as you paid, make use you keep a list of the repairs you had to make(it will be short). ALL boats look good when they are new in the showroom, go look at a bunch of 20 or 30 year old boats and tell me which ones held up. The thing is a lot of boats won't be useable in 20 or 30 years.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed - you will get what you pay for. Regarding my earlier post, I was referring to the sandwich construction and the total lack of wood in the hull. The 19's aren't indestructible. But, they would be extremely hard to sink.

I want a Whaler in the 15-17' category. I don't room for anything else, could not afford to run anything else, and could not tow anything else! :)

I agree with those who say how the Whaler holds up to time...I've seen more 70's Whalers in GREAT condition on Ebay than any other boat. I'm wondering if Whaler's that old would hold their value. If you paid $4-5,000 for one, could you run it five years and sell it for the same?

A new one or nearly new one is out of the question completely!

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed - you will get what you pay for. Regarding my earlier post, I was referring to the sandwich construction and the total lack of wood in the hull. The 19's aren't indestructible. But, they would be extremely hard to sink.

They are IMPOSSIBLE to sink. I friend of mine was an outboard mechanic for the navy, they had an accident where a 16' Whaler with a 100hp outboard had two CASES of concussion grenades AND the gas tank blow up, the motor was still floating with the transom, which was the biggest intact section of the boat. Whaler did a test for one of the navies in S.America, they took a bunch of officers 15 miles offshore in a Whaler, transferred them to another boat and then riddled the Whaler with two .50 machine guns, transferred the officers back to the Whaler and drove the boat the miles back to the shore! I saw the photos!
I have no doubt that if you bought a 15'/17' Whaler in decent condition and kept it that way, you could resell it in a few years for about what you paid for it, depending of course on your buying and selling skills.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

McKee took some of the whaler molds

Look at Carolina Skiff and Bay Runner for inexpensive unsinkable practical boats.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want a Whaler in the 15-17' category. I don't room for anything else, could not afford to run anything else, and could not tow anything else! :)

I agree with those who say how the Whaler holds up to time...I've seen more 70's Whalers in GREAT condition on Ebay than any other boat. I'm wondering if Whaler's that old would hold their value. If you paid $4-5,000 for one, could you run it five years and sell it for the same?

A new one or nearly new one is out of the question completely!

In that case, most boats in that size range are made with flotation foam anyway. So just pick one. The build quality of Whalers overall is very good and the have high price tags to match (so does GW). Look at some everglades or wellcraft models.

Philster

Captain

I was always skeptical of Whalers, assuming that other foam-filled boats were just as unsinkable.

A few come very, very close. Some might even match the Whalers, but I can't cite their claims. I know when Whaler claims unsinkable, they mean that even the powerhead of the outboard engine will remain above the water line. Many other brands do not go this far, nor can they demonstrate it.

So, fill a Whaler like a tub and she keeps the outboard powerhead above the water. Fill some other boats and they dunk the engine.

Considering how far outboards have come in technology, that slight difference in the performance of various foam-filled hulls (solid foam core) could be worth 10-20 grand.

Insurance: Can be cheaper on a Whaler. Not always, but make sure you get the proper discounts for the longevity, safety, performance and ability to save the engine.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Having only just bought my first boat a month ago you can take this with a grain of salt, but I saw these videos from Key West (I got a 1900CC) and figured they might be worth a mention:
http://www.keywestboats.com/mfgplant

Specifically the 268CC Float Test and Ever Seen A Half Boat Float. While it seems like they cut the boat in half in a fairly strategic place, it is still floating.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

The CG requires most boats to have flotation that will them afloat and upright. However have you seen the photo of the BW 13' sawed into THREE sections with a person in each section and each section still upright? That photo is about 40 years old and that was way before the "upright" requirment came along.