boat rigidity

gotmehooked

Seaman
For any of you guys who don't use the bench seats, do you think it takes away from the side to side stability of your boat at all by not having something holding tension between the tubes?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat rigidity

I would say no in general
But
It would depend on other factors
What type of floor does the boat have
Is it slat
Is it wood
Is it aluminum
Is it High Pressure Air
Is it low pressure Air
What size are the tubes
How was the boat inflated
To what pressure was the boat inflated
Is there a cooler between the tubes
Are there Air seats between the tubes
All of these things affects how the boat feels

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe it affects rigidity somewhat but has minimal effect on stability if correctly inflated. As ronaldj states, the floor design would play a part.

Think of the old slat floor cork life rafts for example, but that would not quite be the same. Actual calculations of stability would be fairly complicated and definitely above my pay grade. There are many fabric floor inflatables in use which are pretty stable.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If you have all tubes inflated to its factory working recommendation pressure which is usually 3.5 PSI will accomplish a rigid sib, bear in mind that with defeleted tubes lower floor fabric will rock along floorboards and seat. Correct pressure on tubes and keel gives floor fabric rigidity.

OTOH seat's end has 2 attached side hooks, which inserts on side tube's seat patches, this gives a floating like situation as opposed to a solid transom which holds tubes tight in place, so seat will rock accordingly and will not provide side tube stiffness as one would imagine specially if underinflated. In order to achieve a well tensioning seat on hooks, side tubes must be fully inflated to their working PSI.

Happy Boating

gotmehooked

Seaman

I have a saturn sd365 with an air floor. I use a trunk between the tubes in the front to store everything. I use an electric pump to inflate the boat to the proper psi. Just wondered if anyone had noticed a difference without the seats. I try to keep weight distribution to the front since i'm in the back. I didn't know if the manufacturer actually intended them to serve a purpose other than sitting on.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The question is
Has there been a difference in your boat?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just wondered if anyone had noticed a difference without the seats. I didn't know if the manufacturer actually intended them to serve a purpose other than sitting on.

Their intended purpose is mainly for sitting as you will find some passengers don't like sitting on tubes, ballance issues, are afraid will fall from tubes, children's issues, etc. If tubes are underinflated, side hooks could come off and passenger could fall on deck, worst when ridding on choppy seas conditions. Never use mine, like sitting on well inflated tubes.

Happy Boating