Boat ramp etiquette

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat ramp etiquette

5 mins. tops to launch. Do all pre-launch checks on the trailer away from the ramp. Run motor on muffs before leaving the house. All equipment and supplies on board. Bump the key when you get there to know she'll turn over. PRACTICE backing in a parking lot so that there is no retarded backing manuevers...

All very simple sh!t...

seabob has boat ramp etiquette 100% correct! Do all of your checks and loading before you get to the actual ramp itself. Boat launch facilities have a parking lot. Stop there and load the boat. Remove straps and make sure the plug is in. Only after all of this is done should you drive over to the actual ramp!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Fisherball referred to the "recreational/non-fishing crowd" as being the problem. Although a broad generalization with plenty of exceptions (such as everyone here, right?) there's a lot to be said for that.
There is a relatively new breed on the water with no fundamental concept that boating is not the same as driving a car or going to a bar. With access to more disposable income (and credit) they start their boating experience with no experience and little judgment--just a big honkin' boat with lots of toys.
Of course there are plenty of newbies, such as the ones who post here, who know what they don't know and try to learn. They are forgiven for their transgressions because they care.
Then there is the old breed (which includes young boaters) who engage in real boating--fishing, sailing, varied types of cruising--who know about knots, lines, wind, current, weather, mechanical repairs, maintenance and operations, back-up systems and check-lists. Used to be, most of the people with boats were like the ones in this group, or were learning to be one, or had one riding with them to teach them. Sadly, this group has been diluted by the first group I described, especially in the "recreational" lakes. Luckily for me, the boaters in the lower Chesapeake Bay tend to be the "old breed" for the most part, and there is lots of room to avoid the knuckleheads.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat ramp edicate

Sounds like my local launch except I'm the one sitting in a chair with popcorn and a Pepsi watching and enjoying a snack.

Haha. I've got a buddy, 2 lawn chairs, a case of Miller Lite and a vidcam set for this weekend. I invited him to watch the launches Saturday afternoon and he looked at me funny. Told him just come over and see. Supposed to be a nice weekend which means lots of entertainment. :D

TMoNeE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im so nervous to launch my boat for the first time

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm getting a kick out of this thread for 2 reasons:

1: We launched on Sunday, and had a similar boat ramp etiquette issue. Myself and a friend, each with a boat, each in a seperate vehicle, at a ramp with 2 launch spots. We pull into the parking lot, get out and put in the plug and take off the straps (not the front winch/safety chain you safety nazis!), and get ready to launch.

This guy comes flying past both of us, whips around, and backs down the ramp. Parks half way down the ramp, gets out, and starts putting in his plug, undoing straps, etc etc. We just had this dumbfounded expression on our faces when we looked at eachother. He did his thing (took a good 10-15 minutes), and we had both boats launched on the other side by the time he was done plugging up the other.

2: The guy was in an aluminum river jet-boat, unloading his poles and other fishing equipement from the back of his truck into his boat.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

As well you should be...and you may want to take a friend who is an experienced boater to give you some tips. It is no crime to allow someone to show you how it's done, especially someone who explain things as they are doing them as to why they did this or that, instead of you sitting there wondering why he did this or that. And ALWAYS ask questions!

I got my first boat when I lived in Orlando, an older Procraft bass boat with a 90 Merc on her. Did all the work to get her in shape, practiced the backing manuevers in the Winn Dixie parking lot, then took 2 vacation days in the middle of the week and took her to a small lake in Lake county that had a decent county owned ramp, and practiced backing down the ramp several times. Couple of old timers put in and asked me, "Well, son, ain't you gonna put her in?" I told them what I was doing, and they said, "Well GOOD for you! We get enough morons around here who ain't got a clue!"

I wanted to fish the Harris chain, and for those who live in the area, you know how busy the county ramp on SR 19 gets. I didn't want to be what the people in the lawn chairs come to see...

e-coast mike

Cadet

Dag nab it, ya see you went and scared a cadet with all the bickering, nah only kidding. Hey for all who like to watch for entertainment, I hear ya, better than the movies.
Anyway, go to YouTube and type "boat ramp", funny stuff.
Also check out "Bill Dance Bloopers" (real funny). Goes to show even pro's have their days.
See ya at the ramp.
e-coast

kartracer

Cadet

Kartracer: I'm originally from florissant. What ramp were you at? I'm guessing you were on the mississippi or the illinois?
No we where at lake carlye in Illinios.I dont really like to boat on the river with a single engine boat.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Ahh.. If you experienced that at Carlyle it must have been the dam west rec area! We'll only hit Carlyle on weekdays from now on, our last experience with that lake on a weekend was 3 weeks ago. Too many people with too much money that know too little about boating!

kartracer

Cadet

im so nervous to launch my boat for the first time
Dont be if the ramp has a line get everything ready before you get in line and then ask the person behind you to give you a hand since its your first time most boaters would be glad to help you out I know I would.

kartracer

Cadet

Ahh.. If you experienced that at Carlyle it must have been the dam west rec area! We'll only hit Carlyle on weekdays from now on, our last experience with that lake on a weekend was 3 weeks ago. Too many people with too much money that know too little about boating!
Yep you nailed it Dam west and you got that right.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

98Shabah,
Mariah, right?

Yep, it's a Mariah 182 Shabah... Kinda funny, when we were at Carlyle on a beach I overheard the guy in the boat next to us tell his wife "that boat was built just a few miles from here". The Mariah boat plant was in benton illinois, just south of rend lake.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Shabah,
I work in the business, was at Wellcraft when your boat was built. Couple of years ago the Mariah plant shut down due to the state of the business. Know if it opened back up?

Crownline is in that same general area if I'm not mistaken...

But I remember the Shabah line. I always liked Mariahs...

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Wait, Crownline...West Frankfort...I think...

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I read that the plant shut down in 2001 and shortly after the smaller boat molds were sold to SeaFox/Renken boats along with the Mariah name where they continued production, but it's rumored that they are a lower quality/price. The larger hull molds were sold to Challenger Offshore boats. It really is a shame, Mariah sure made a nice/solid boat.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Luckily, we have a private ramp where we store our boat on the St Johns River. However, when we launch on the INtercoastal, it is a differant story. They have 4 ramps, seperated by 1 dock. You get everything from people working on thier boats, to people loading their coolers and crap tied up to the ramp docks. The other big one is people that put their boat right down the middle of 2 ramps blocking both ramps.

Now I am pretty good at putting in my boat. My issue is that I do not have a person with me most of the time that can either park the trailer or drive the boat. So I really dont have a choice but to tie up and go park the trailer. I do, however, haul ***. I park as quickly as possibly and jog back. I wish there was another way, but that is just the way it has to be if I want to put the boat in the water.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing wrong with that. At least you're considerate of others...
cheersemoticon.gif

CATransplant

Admiral

My new favorite pet peeve is the guy who retrieves his boat, then pulls the truck and trailer out and parks as soon as he's on level ground, blocking the ramp approach, while he checks everything out before driving home.

This happens every time I'm at the lake, so I have to work around this truck and trailer instead of pulling up on the approach until my trailer is straight and back down.

In the meantime, the pull-through parking spaces are open. When I retrieve, I pull out of the ramp and drive into a parking space to do my prep before driving home.

The lot is never full at this lake, so I just don't understand what these folks are thinking. I really don't.

kartracer

Cadet

Luckily, we have a private ramp where we store our boat on the St Johns River. However, when we launch on the INtercoastal, it is a differant story. They have 4 ramps, seperated by 1 dock. You get everything from people working on thier boats, to people loading their coolers and crap tied up to the ramp docks. The other big one is people that put their boat right down the middle of 2 ramps blocking both ramps.

Now I am pretty good at putting in my boat. My issue is that I do not have a person with me most of the time that can either park the trailer or drive the boat. So I really dont have a choice but to tie up and go park the trailer. I do, however, haul ***. I park as quickly as possibly and jog back. I wish there was another way, but that is just the way it has to be if I want to put the boat in the water.
Thats fine with me I am respectfull to give people the time they need to get in and out, its all the unnessary time people take when others are waiting.