Boat pulls hard left?

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice
My 17' ski boat pulls hard to the left while cruising. It's very hard to turn right(starboard?), but very easy to turn left. It's an I/O Alpha drive with a 3.0L mercruiser. Is this something that the adjustable fin above the prop can cure or does it sound more serious? How much do I adjust it, one click at a time?

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat pulls hard left?

if you don't see any hooks in the hull,(concave areas) then adusting the trim tab a little at a time in the direction of the pull might solve. Look for pitting or rough areas on the tab. Mine pulled very hard right, after replacing the trim tab it went straight

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice

dairic said:
Look for pitting or rough areas on the tab. Mine pulled very hard right, after replacing the trim tab it went straight

It is definitely rough and pitted. I guess they are not suppose to be this way? I think I'll just replace it with a new one. I can't imagine they are too expensive. Where should I pick one up?

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

common item, usually around the $10. +/- range depending on style your local dealer should stock it or could be ordered off this site. it only takes a few little nicks too make your boat veer out in a different direction

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also the trim of the outdrive effects this.

When my outdrive is trimmed all the way down it behaves as you describe. Try trimming up a little more while cruising.

Bob