Boat Performance Secrets - How Speed, Acceleration and Efficiency Works!

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Performance Secrets - How Speed, Acceleration and Efficiency Works!

Can I have all of this reformatted into pie charts?

Im hungry now.

45Auto

Commander

Hi Mark,

I added the torque curve to Chart 1, the engine power in the original post to make it easier to discuss (and easier on QC so he doesn't have to calculate the torque values!:D) Just make sure you use the numbers on the right side when you're looking at the torque curve! As QC said, horsepower is calculated from: HP = Torque times RPM / 5252. The 5252 comes from a string of constants required to get the units (feet, minutes, pounds, etc) to work out.

As QC says, you’re absolutely correct on your main point Mark, your second point needs a little more clarification. I’ll go through both of them

From TexasMark:
Hence the torque would be different and at the higher rpm's associated with the 19, at the low speed of 30, and assuming the torque curve peaks out around 3000, torque is what would provide his rate of acceleration....in short, how fast can I get my rpms up and to me torque is what does it.

As QC said, at 30 MPH with the 27 pitch, you're turning 2000 RPM and need 210 lb/ft out of the available 400 lb/ft to make the 80 HP required. With the 19, you're turning 3000 RPM and using 140 lb/ft to make the 80 HP required out of the 440 lb/ft the engine is capable of producing at 3000 RPM. You're using the throttle in both cases to restrict the airflow into the engine and limit the boat to the speed (30 MPH) that you want.

If you open the throttle all the way, the engine at 2000 RPM with the 27 pitch puts an extra 190 lb/ft (400 available minus 210 required) into the prop shaft, which gets used to accelerate the prop above the RPM required to maintain 30 MPH. The engine at 3000 RPM with the 19 pitch puts an extra 300 lb/ft (440 available minus 140 required) into the prop shaft. As Mark said in his quote above, more torque gets the RPMs up faster. So the 19 pitch will accelerate (gain RPM) approximately 50% faster than the 27 since we're putting about 50% more torque into the 19 pitch (the 50% comes from 300 lb/ft is about 50% more than 190 lb/ft). If these two boats were side by side the boat with the 19 pitch would theoretically accelerate about 50% faster than the boat with the 27 pitch.

This is why a 310 HP Mercruiser 454 will out accelerate a 300 HP Mercruiser 350. They both have almost exactly the same torque at 4500 RPM (have to since they have the same HP at that RPM (almost anyway - 310 vs 300)). But the bigger motor will have a much flatter torque curve (higher numbers) lower in the RPM range. It works the same way with comparable 150 HP O/B’s, they both make the same max power (and will therefore have the same max speed) but the bigger (more cubic inches) engine will have more torque and get there faster. This is obviously a general rule, since a smaller displacement modern engine could have more torque (thus power) throughout the RPM range than a bigger but older motor. I’m assuming we’re comparing engines of the same generation here!

From TexasMark:
I realize that if it were at the same rpm's the shaft torque would be equal on both props.

This ones a little trickier to look at, you have to back into the torque values. If the ENGINES or SHAFTS were turning the same speed then the 27 pitch boat would be going faster than the 19 pitch boat. This puts them at different points on the “POWER REQUIRED” curve.

Say both ENGINES were turning 3000 RPM (With a 1.5 reduction lower this means that both shafts would be turning 2000). From Chart #2, the 27 pitch is going 46 MPH and the 19 pitch is going 32 MPH. Now look these speeds up on the POWER REQUIRED curve. To go 46 MPH the 27 pitch (or any pitch) needs 150 HP. To go 32 MPH you need 80 HP. At 3000 RPM, it takes 150*5252/3000 = 262 lb/ft of torque to make 150 HP. So the 27 pitch shaft has 262 lb/ft of torque on it at 46 MPH.

With the 19 pitch shaft at 3000, you only need to make 80 HP. So that shaft has 80*5252/3000 = 140 lb/ft of torque on it.

So if the ENGINE (or SHAFT) RPMs were the same, the 27 pitch would have more torque on the shaft. You would be using more throttle, to allow the engine to use a bigger percentage of its available torque to make more power to maintain the higher speed!

Hope this makes sense. I know it can be kind of confusing when you can't ask questions to clarify stuff as you go through it.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Now you guys are plugging into this hard head. I understand what you said. Thanks so much for your time and considerable effort invested in walking us through this "Map". You also answered a corollary question I asked about cubic inches and torque. Haven't been over there yet, but you answered it here.

Best Regards,

Mark

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the valuable information. I first read this post when it was first posted. But had to look it up now that I tried my boat and I was wondering about my own rpm vs prop configuration. I had it bookmarked. Took me until now to grasp all the info. ;)

How does anyone know if the engine is lugging to much from an oversize prop? Generally they say add lots of weight (people, gas) and see if your performance decreases allot. This only tells me if the rpm-prop configuration is satisfactory to my needs. What about the engine? When is it harder on the engine to ride with a higher pitch prop?

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think we need to add information on how different brands of motor oil affect these numbers:D

Chuck

QC

Supreme Mariner

How does anyone know if the engine is lugging to much from an oversize prop?
Well the only real answer to your question above is when your boat will not reach the "window" of your recommended WOT operating range. I believe yours is a 320 bhp, and I also believe that the WOT range is 4800 - 5200 (Please Verify). If you cannot reach 4800 RPM at WOT with a typical load, then you are technically over propped. Most here would say that if so, you are damaging your engine at all operating conditions. I tend to disagree as once you are below WOT you are operating at less than max torque at all points except when you are pushing the throttle all of the way down for any reason. I believe this is more a question of degree than an absolute yes or no. For example, if your engine made 4750 RPM at WOT I don't think you would have any issues when running it at 3800 RPM forever . . . However, if you could only make 4000 RPM at WOT then I would suggest even 3000 RPM could be detrimental as extended high load operation at low RPM is not real good for a Gasoline engine of any type. It's not gonna blow up in 30 seconds in either case, but for the best combination of flexibility, performance, fuel economy, speed, acceleration and engine life, a prop set that gets you near the middle of the range will typically be best.
Generally they say add lots of weight (people, gas) and see if your performance decreases allot. This only tells me if the rpm-prop configuration is satisfactory to my needs. What about the engine? When is it harder on the engine to ride with a higher pitch prop?
This doesn't make sense. If you load up and cannot get in the WOT range then all of the above would apply.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

For us a typical load is currently a medium load. 1/2 tank gas, two people, cooler and I'm reaching 4600rpm WOT @ 53mph gps and 3000 rpm @ 35mph gps. You are right, Volvo recommends 4800-5200 WOT so I'm shy of 200rpm. If I change the F6 prop that came with this new boat from Doral to an F5 it would probably go to 5000rpm "sweet spot" but...

My current hole shot, with the help of trim tabs, is very good. Top speed is in line of what the boat is supposed to do. My main priority is fuel economy and top speed, not acceleration. With all this in mind I'm wondering if being 200rpm shy is hurting the life of the engine.

From what I read in your reply is I am close enough to be alright and my fuel economy should be better than if I switch to an F5. Correct?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I absolutely agree with your assessment. However . . . I have been an OEM guy my whole career (sort of) and I believe, like most here, that ultimately the book is the way to fly. I am currently running about 200 RPM shy as well, loaded up. I like it a lot. She's 5 MPH faster everywhere compared to RPM, and that is fuel economy. Slight, but it is there, so I feel good. I haven't ran her empty in a while, but I believe this prop pushes me the same top speed as my 22P, but 400 RPM lower, but I honestly can't remember. WOT with my 22P empty is 5200+ and 57 MPH, with the 24P (Ron Hill) I get 4800ish and the same speed. I like lugging her down just a little if the hole shot is OK, but it's not by the book.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

when this thread was first posted, I printed it and referred to it a good bit when thinking through set-up issues. Great stuff...

One thing I'm still wrestling with in set-up for top end is prop choice vs gear ratio. I've read that for speeds over 55 or 60, props with a pitch of about twice the diameter generally yield the best top end performance. So for a 14 - 14 1/2 in diameter prop on a merc drive that says we'll get the best prop performance in the 28-30" pitch range.

Lets say for arguements sake that my boat has enough power to hit 75 and trhe engine has a redline of 5300 rpm and that prop slip is 7%.

If I use the prop pitch to calculate what gear ratio to use, I get a gear ratio of 1.8+ to 1! a lot higher than the typical 1.5 ratio for mercruiser drives...

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks QC. Seeing I'm not the only one in this "boat" makes me feel better. I'm going to keep this setup. Well at least until my 20 hour break-in is over. :)