Boat Paddles as a Signaling Device

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
My boats paddles were getting kinda gnarly, the clear varnish was starting to flake off in some places and there was some checking (cracking)between the laminated strips.

So I sanded them both down to bare wood and filled the checks with a thickened epoxy mix and the hit them with 3 coats of marine epoxy resin, then 3 coats of a good grade of white exterior latex enamel.

While I was working on the paddles I thought about some of the stories I read here about people breaking down on the water and trying to get passer by's attention by waving a boat paddle with a PFD strapped to it for visibility and thought I might could do better than that with a high-vis paint job.

The white paint is a bright white and pretty visibile, but I wanted something to set it off and started rummaging around in the garage paint box and came accross a can of fluorescent pink spray paint I had painted some fishing lures with a while back, it was almost full. So I thought about a pattern I might like and taped them off and went to spraying... and it came out like this:

I had to take those pics in the shade because the paint is so bright in the sun it kina messes up the pic and the colors don't come out right.

I hope I never have to use them, but they are there if I need them.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Boat Paddles as a Signaling Device

Nice, bet you can't wait to use them for their secondary purpose :)

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

They look nice. I use a couple of these, used as the sole paddle in the ski and auxillary one in the big boat:

2332060c_5.jpg

18$ on iboats.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Good idea jig. Have you got a discrete place to hide them when not in use? They might clash with your interior decor. - Grandad

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Not a bad idea actually. Purty sure a paddle is a USCG approved signalling device to begin with? They look good Grub.

Unfortunately I broke my last wooden one over the head of a mutineering crew member awhile back ...

Do have one'a them orange ones, but it just don't seem to carry as much clout ...

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

They look nice! I may do something similar over the winter.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

No way a paddle would help in my boat-- so I keep the USCG approved orange signal flag along with flares and VHF. In a nasty situation there is the PLB.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good. I grabbed some of the orange ones like Campy posted from Cabela's @ 14.99ea. They push my boat just fine since its so small, but doubt I could take a crew member out with one.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

No way a paddle would help in my boat-- so I keep the USCG approved orange signal flag along with flares and VHF. In a nasty situation there is the PLB.

You might find a paddle saves you if you are drifting a few yards from the dock, even on a boat your size. Better than rowing with a flag.

Jig, your paddles look great; hope you never need to test them out!

A USCG auxillary guy suggested carrying an old CD to use as a signal mirror, too. Not that many pleasure boaters would know what it was (sun off a windshield) but it would help in a daytime SAR

shrew

Lieutenant

Purty sure a paddle is a USCG approved signalling device to begin with?

Unfortunately, they are NOT USCG approved signaling devices.

USCG: Visual Distress Signals

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/docs/vds_table.pdf

DISTRESS SIGNAL FOR BOATS, ORANGE FLAG
APPROVAL CATEGORY: 160.072

APPROVAL GUIDANCE & INFORMATION: An orange flag with black square above a black circle. The flag is at least 90 cm x 90 cm (3 ft x 3 ft), with grommets at each corner to allow it to be hung or flown. Other arrangements have also been accepted in kite or balloon form, but all have the orange and black square and circle form. The material is tested for weathering resistance and durability. The square and circle form is intended to simulate a cylinder-over-sphere dayshape, indicating distress. Distress flags are self-certified by the manufacturer. The Coast Guard does not issue approvals or keep an authenticated list of manufacturers.

There are somewhat universal 'paddle signals' in paddle sports, which you might be thinking of. However, these are not CG approved signaling devices/methods:

Paddle & arm signals

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Good point by shrew- make sure you also have an approved signal aboard.

I object only to the color. If I saw some guy waving a hot pink paddle at me, I'd have to decide whether he was in trouble, or offering an S&M 'invitation'

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

So when you used all the flares, the flag blew away and you are out of breath from blowing the b****y whistle and are down to waving your knickers, will the USCG refuse to rescue you because you are not using an 'Approved' signal????

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea, and if you had to use them and start waving them, I'm sure someone would wave back at ya. But by using the USCG approved Orange Flag, (which takes no room at all to stow) would truly show that you need help. but hey, at least you have something not many others have.
:help:

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would swing by if I saw someone flailing those around, no doubt. Nice job :)

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

will the USCG refuse to rescue you because you are not using an 'Approved' signal????

No, but other boaters might just pass on by ... :happy:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Good idea jig. Have you got a discrete place to hide them when not in use? They might clash with your interior decor. - Grandad

I'm not that much of a fashionista GD, and part of the whole high-vis idea is to make them easy to spot inside and outside of the boat. No one will have to frantically for a paddle on my boat, they'll probably notice them before they step foot in the boat for the first time.

Jig, your paddles look great; hope you never need to test them out!

A USCG auxillary guy suggested carrying an old CD to use as a signal mirror, too. Not that many pleasure boaters would know what it was (sun off a windshield) but it would help in a daytime SAR

The paddles will be my secondary signaling device, my primary is a canned air horn like the ones they use at sporting events that you can hear over a stadium of cheering fans. 3 sharp blasts with the horn to get their attention and then wave the paddles to show them where I am.

Unfortunately, they are NOT USCG approved signaling devices.

USCG: Visual Distress Signals

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/docs/vds_table.pdf

DISTRESS SIGNAL FOR BOATS, ORANGE FLAG
APPROVAL CATEGORY: 160.072

APPROVAL GUIDANCE & INFORMATION: An orange flag with black square above a black circle. The flag is at least 90 cm x 90 cm (3 ft x 3 ft), with grommets at each corner to allow it to be hung or flown. Other arrangements have also been accepted in kite or balloon form, but all have the orange and black square and circle form. The material is tested for weathering resistance and durability. The square and circle form is intended to simulate a cylinder-over-sphere dayshape, indicating distress. Distress flags are self-certified by the manufacturer. The Coast Guard does not issue approvals or keep an authenticated list of manufacturers.

There are somewhat universal 'paddle signals' in paddle sports, which you might be thinking of. However, these are not CG approved signaling devices/methods:

Paddle & arm signals

I boat on inland lakes and we don't even have coast guard, we have marine police.

99% of the people around here wouldn't know what the orange and black flag was, they'd think you were decorating your boat for Halloween or something.

There's also no place to fly a flag from my boat, unless I hung it from the all around light mast... but dead in the water with no wind the flag would just droop vertically and would look like I was trying to dry out an orange t-shirt or something.

I object only to the color. If I saw some guy waving a hot pink paddle at me, I'd have to decide whether he was in trouble, or offering an S&M 'invitation'

I'm hoping the pink will attract a boat load of bikini babes to come rescue me, maybe they'll have a blender and frozen margaritas onboard too!

Unfortunately I broke my last wooden one over the head of a mutineering crew member awhile back ...

Do have one'a them orange ones, but it just don't seem to carry as much clout ...

I hate mutineers, and that's why I have 2 and they're both wood.

Thanks for the kind words folks!

I've never had to use the paddles for their primary intended use, but I'm required by law to have at least one on the boat. I will use one every once in a while if the tinny drifts up on a stump or a shallow hump to push myself off into deeper water.

The ol' Merc 4 stroke has been very reliable, and there's also the 55lb. trolloing motor... but if everything goes to hell in a handbag some day I'll have my air horn and sexy paddles.:watermelon:

shrew

Lieutenant

So when you used all the flares, the flag blew away and you are out of breath from blowing the b****y whistle and are down to waving your knickers, will the USCG refuse to rescue you because you are not using an 'Approved' signal????

Come on guys let's not loose our heads here. Can a paddle be used as a signaling device? Of course it can, anything can be used to signal, even waving arms is suitable. Obviously painted brightly, it is going to be more effective than not. If the objective is to get someone's attention, then something is better than nothing. If the comment is "That is a Aprroved USCG signaling Device", then the reply is "Here are the approved USCG signaling devices".

Whether or not someone stops is a matter of whether they notice you and care. As for whether there is a Coast Guard precence on a particular body of water is irrelevant.

I'm simply trying to provide accurate information and correct misinformation.

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like your paddles. On my lake the usual signalling device is a guy standing in his boat looking embarrassed, wanting help, and not really wanting anyone to know it. Or they are paddling in a storm while 30' away from the shore.
If they were waving your paddle above their head I might think they were not just floating around for a bit.
Just coat them with a clear urethane and they'll stay nice.

Last edited:

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like your paddles. On my lake the usual signalling device is a guy standing in his boat looking embarrassed, wanting help, and not really wanting anyone to know it. Or they are paddling in a storm while 30' away from the shore.
If they were waving your paddle above their head I might think they were not just floating around for a bit.
Just coat them with a clear urethane and they'll stay nice.

LMAO! So true.