Boat Owner-To-Be

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all!<br /><br />I am new to the forums and new to boating. I am purchasing a boat from a friend of a friend of the family and would like to know what additional things I will need to purchase to get it in the water. The boat I am buying is a 1998 Bayliner 2050 SS with a 5.0 liter Mercruiser. The current owner bought it new from the dealer and has only had it in the water maybe 10 times in the last six years. I have read the varied opinions concerning the quality of the Bayliner brand of boats but I am getting such a (what I think to be) good deal on this boat I can't pass it up. I have looked in the BoatTrader magazines as well as online and I cannot find a boat as big for the money (and I need a big boat since I am a big guy LOL!)<br /><br />Well, I would like to hear your opinions and also your advice as to what I need to keep in mind going forward. I am paying to have the boat de-winterized so that I can take it out for a test drive before 'officially' purchasing the boat.<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />Eric

bruffcorn

Cadet
Re: Boat Owner-To-Be

Juggernaut,<br /><br />It's hard to answer your questions/concerns as it all comes back to your personal preferences. How oftern are you gonna use the boat? What are you gonna use the boat for? What's your budget? How close are you to water? etc, etc.<br /><br />Last year I bought the same boat you're looking at except I bought the 4.3 version and in a similar situation. For me, the budget was the biggest concern. In KS the boating season is short and I can't see spending alot of money on a boat that I'll use 5 months of the year and then some weekends it'll be rainy or there's a required family outing, etc.<br /><br />This boat was perfect for me. It allows me to get in some skiing and it allows the wife a chance to get some sun. We use the boat mainly to float on a lake and listen to the Royals **** away another game :rolleyes: .<br /><br />I'd jot down pros/cons, want/needs, do/don'ts, if's/but's on list and compare.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Juggernaut,<br /><br />While I can't address this boat in particular, there is one item I can tell you that you should really have: Education.<br /><br />Go to the local boating supply store and ask about the Coast Guard Auxiliary or power squadron. They provide courses for boaters of all abilities. You want to take the basic courses.<br /><br />WARNING - NON-BOATING LANGUAGE FOLLOWS. THOSE WITH WEAK CONSTITUTIONS BE WARNED.<br /><br /><br />These courses are FREE. (That may be the only time you see free and boating in the same context.)<br /><br />Knowledge will help you have fun and avoid problems. It will also guide you on what you need to have for your boat. Highly reccomended.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Bruffcorn,<br />I am planning on using the boat very frequently since we have a lake with a marina within about 5 miles form the house :) We plan on using the boat for mostly tubing (at first and skiing later) and running around the lake... with some very light fishing. It sounds like we want to use the boat for the same reasons you and your wife want to. Do you think the 5.0 liter engine will have enough get up and go? I have pretty much decided to get the boat, I am looking more for what hidden costs I haven't yet uncovered.<br /><br />Jack,<br /><br />That is an excellent suggestion! I need to find out where to go to take the lessons but I will definitely look into it.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Bondo,<br /><br />Will that course cover everything I would get at a course offered by the local coast guard? If so it seems to be much more convenient!<br /><br />Eric

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......... It's Coast Guard Approved.......<br /><br />And,... The Safety Certification is recognized by Every State,+ the Coast Guard......

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Jug,<br />I took the online course Bonda suggested. VERY Helpful. I believe he suggested it to me when I first got on this board. Took a little while for the Diploma and Safety card to come. Also got a discount on insurance with it. :D

bruffcorn

Cadet

Juggernaut,<br /><br />Our 4.3 goes about 43-44mph WOT. I'd think your 5.0 would get close to 50mph give or take 2mph. <br /><br />I used to ski quite a bit (for the Midwest) and have skied at approx 57mph in my younger days. Anyway, I had my novice wife pull me last year. I told her just to open it up and I'd only ski a 1/4 mile or so (I wanted to make sure I could still do it) and not to worry about the throttle. Well, the boat got going to fast for me (or I wasn't used to it or I'm older and wiser) and I had to let go. The purpose of this story - I think your 5.0 will have enough get up and go. <br /><br />I did notice the 4.3 being alittle sluggish when we had 6 adults (with coolers and such) in the boat last year but with 6 adults in the boat I'm not looking to go flying around the lake. And of course all the adults want to sit in the back of the boat which doesn't help. Depending on the weight of the person tubing, tubing does take alittle longer to get up to speed but I don't think you'll have a problem.<br /><br />Best of luck!

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

- get a good anchor. I suffered with a crappy anchor for several years before I broke down and bought a nice one. <br /><br />- buy a map of your lake that gives information on depths and shows the names of all the creeks and such. It makes it a lot easier to talk with other people on the lake when you know where they are talking about.<br /><br />- make sure that any ropes tied to the cleats at the front of the boat are not long enough to reach the propeller at the back of the boat if they were to fall in the water while underway.<br /><br />- get a good first aid kit with plenty of bee sting medicine and keep plenty of 50+ sunscreen on the boat at all times. Nothing ruins a good time like a bee sting or a sunburn.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

- keep a bottle of advil on the boat.<br /><br />- keep some diarrhea medicine on the boat.<br /> <br /><br />All these ideas come from experience.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What size lake? You may want to look into getting a gps if its a large lake with lots of islands, also comes handy marking hot spots for fishing. I'm assuming all your safety eqt. is coming with the boat.A large set of bumpers, 3 should be enough for a boat that size.If you plan on leaving in a dock, some type of charger for your batteries. If you plan on trailering an auto charger will do. A spare prop, and a set of tools. you will find if your new to boating, that any room you have is soon taken up ( I find the ratio of stuff brought on board is about 3 to one, female to male)so find a storage spot for all your necesities, and bring only what you need for your trip. Most boating injuries are a result of people falling, tripping over stuff. A pet peeve of mine is people bringing too much useless stuff on my boat. <br /><br /> Welcome to the forum!!!<br /> Jim

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome Jugger, There is a mild illness some contract after buying a boat.."BE". Trailer Boats magazine did an article last year on "BE", BOAT ENVY. Symptoms:<br /> <br />1. Never be satisified with what you have.<br />2. The more you spend the better time you will have.<br />3. Always belittle or look down on a boat doing the same thing your boat is doing that cost less to purchase.<br /><br /> If your friend's boat fills your need, and it is in your budget, buy and enjoy. You will find the same powertrain available in all makes...the rest is just show if the boat is cared for.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Juggernaut,<br /><br />When you look at tools, make sure you have a voltmeter with you. A cheap one is fine. I found one for $10 at my local ACE hardware store

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Don't forget marine insurance. <br /><br />You did not mention whether or not you would be towing this boat. If so make sure that your tow vehicle can handle it. AND thoroughly check out the trailer including tires and trailer brakes.<br /><br />Oh - - - and potential congratulations.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jug If you intend to buy this boat I would suggest you set some money aside ( 500-700 ) and do the following . have drive pulled and inspect and lubricate u-joints gimble bearing and coupler, install all new bellows and impeller kit, be sure bilge pump and blower is working, change engine oil and filter and any fuel filters including water seperator filter and have batteries load checked and be sure they are up to snuff. A boat that is 6 years old with little use needs the same attention has a 10 year well used boat. The above is recommended service at this point in time, a little spend now can save you large later and also sets a benchmark for future service. Nothing can spoil the boating experience more than a poorly maintained problem boat that spends all your fun time and money on the trailer and in the shop. Have fun put a little care and maintenance first and enjoy boating, thats what its all about, Welcome to boating and iboats.

lewkster

Seaman

I typically run smaller lakes. Things I have are mostly required: life jackets(kids wear theres always), sunscreen, small first aid kit, anchors, extra tie off rope, few bungees(keep stuff in place),lake or river map,gps(bought after lost on a larger lake,EXTRA BATTERIES FOR GPS!!), flashlights,cheap fish finder(shows depths so less likely to hit things)1 five gallon buck, water tight lid with couple rain suits and 2 hooded sweat shirts,tools, extra boat plug. I traded my electric trolling motor for a 2 horse evenrude ( good trolling motor(fishing)and pushes boat 3 mph for emergency back up to 40 horse if needed. 40 horse is new and serviced ( got caught inna wind storm with old under powered motor I could barely keep boat pointed into wind) Enough common sense so far knock on wood! I plan on getting into the mississippi river this year so I need to get reinformed on wing dams and how there marked. Fuel for my rig is 6 gallons (full) and I bring an extra 6 when heading into larger lakes and such. I bring measure cup and quart of 2 stroke oil along with open ended gas line from gas tank to refuel 2 horse. Most these smaller items are all inside 5 gallon bucket with water tight lid, so packs down small and covered for the kinda waters I run on.

Sea Mitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is one topic I know about! Three years ago I was posting the same questions! All the posts here are great, read them all, they are invaluable. You'll love it! The hardest thing I found was docking on a windy day but all that comes with experience. I thought I'd never be able to do it but you do learn eventually! Watch out for those rocks! If your boating in a big place (ocean, sound, bay) get Sea Tow! That's about it! Ask questions, people are very helpful but nothing will beat experience. It took me about two boating seasons to get the kinkd out.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Juggernaut,<br />SoLittle has a good comment. <br /><br />1. If you are towing, what are you towing with?<br /><br />2. What is the weight you will be towing? Remember the published boat weight is dry. Add the weight of the trailer, fuel, anchor, life jackets, tools, cooler, etc.<br /><br />3. Is your vehicle equiped with the tow package?<br /><br />Let us know. Give details. Lots of knowledge here to help you out.<br /><br />Most people, when the think about towing (if they think about it at all) just think about the ability to pull the boat. That is not the important part. The important part is the ability to stop the boat.<br /><br />Again, post your setup here and you can get a lot of helpful advice.