Boat or RV ?

ImRich

Recruit
Re: Boat or RV ?

That thing is almost cool again! Just put a deck on its roof and you'll be the envy of your marina! LOL

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Get both!!!! Motor home and pull the boat with you. Or you can do like me and carry a small 8ft two man boat inside of your toyhauler camper:)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If you have to ask then you aren't ready for EITHER..... Rent both and go from there..... IMHO It's silly to try to decide which thing you have never tried to lay out your money on.

Dam2009

Seaman

The responsible things to do would be to take on a second mortgage and purchase both. :)

IowaCraig

Cadet

I had the same question earlier this year. The better half and I went to an RV show and looked at the new travel trailers and was shocked at how poorly new travel trailers are built. Some of the cabinets seemed to be made out of heavy cardboard! Worst part was some of these units were over $20,000! Long story shortended, I now have a SeaRay bowrider out in the yard. :)

eavega

Lieutenant

If you have to ask then you aren't ready for EITHER..... Rent both and go from there..... IMHO It's silly to try to decide which thing you have never tried to lay out your money on.

+1. Both RV and boat ownership is a lifestyle. If you haven't had a lot of experience with either, suggest:

1. Rent one several times (boat and RV). Find out if you really enjoy these activities. You may find out after your first outing that the idea of an RV or boat is much more attractive than the reality.

2. Talk to people who own these things. Ask them what are the pitfalls. Off the top of my head I can tell you that for a boat, its maintenance and the fact that you are one trip away from anything breaking on the boat. The biggest problem I've heard of with RVs is where do you store it when you are not camping? There is also the consideration of where you live and whether you have to winterize these items...
5. If you do decide to pull the trigger, get something used. Don't spend a lot of money only to find out that in the end it was not the right choice for you and your family.

Good luck.

QC

Supreme Mariner

+1000 ^^^^^^^

My first thought is that you can responsibly RV tomorrow, but you need some experience with smaller boats before jumping to a big one. I would get a used Class A and a small boat. Learn the ropes on both, and then decide where to go in deep.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

btw for reference... I live in a 36' triple slide fifth wheel year round and have had all sorts of boats motor homes over the years

You just can't learn which (if either) you'll stick with without doing it.

bustoff

Cadet

Not certain, but I think part of the dilemma with the RV is that the idea was mentioned to us from a friend who has never owned an RV. By that I mean our initial impression of RV life was that of striking out on the open road and experiencing the wide open frontiers out west.

After investigating a little, it sounds more like traveling from one crammed RV park to another and living in close proximity to other people, their kids, their pets and their noise. We already live in a sub-division with zero lot lines and all the nuisances that come along with that. Don't get me wrong, we are not anti-social; we love people. But we also love peace and quiet. If RV life means living in a crowded campground, it makes me wonder what is the attraction ?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Ignoring my experience comments, a Cruiser in a marina gives you the best of both worlds. Hang out with the gang, or head out and get as lost as you want. Where we talkin'? Small lake makes hiding harder of course :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I very seldom find any kids in campgrounds..... Kids go to school most of the year so traveling for them is minimal.... About 49% of my neighbors are generally retired and the other 49% are workers like me... 95% of everywhere I've been has been very quiet and the few times there was a problem it was handled right away with a call to the manager...

Most rv people are much like most marina and some trailer boat people... very friendly, welcoming to strangers and respectful.

There really isn't any frontier any more..... everywhere you go someone will be waiting with some reason or other for you to hand over some money.

SERIOUSLY Rent an RV and go take a trip. Stay at some state parks and rent a pontoon for a couple days.... It may seem like a lot of money but it's a flash in the pan compared to the first time you have to hire someone to pull the underskin of the rv so they can remove your sewage tank, repair a leak, and replace some rotten wood. OR work on the boat.

If you decide you don't like it you will have saved a bundle of dough and if you do like it you will be better able to know what to look for IE "I hated the bathroom in that one, I want a garden tub for sure"
OR "I really would have thought a 20' boat was too much but we want a 28'er now."

Also If you DO buy an RV I highly suggest that buy one out of season that you can easily sell for a profit in season... get your feet wet and learn to be a better informed buyer Then buy your next one out of season the next year knowing you will love it.... There are so many things that seem like a great idea until you stay in it a few times.

Kinda the same suggestion for a boat.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You unfortunately didn't say where you're located.

We're spoiled to having a major river and 3 lakes within 16 miles of home. And we have really great campgrounds and a state park resort within 1/2 hr. drive.

Around here, you don't necessarily have to go anywhere to be a RV'er. I had one friend that just bought one tank of gas in his Class A motorhome last year, and he camps half the time 6 mos. of the year.

Due to high fuel prices, many RV'ers do not really travel that much. If one decides to be a full time RV'er, not only is it a lifestyle change but it's something that you've got to commit yourself to. It's the same way if you're a boater.

We are also 1/2000th owner of a five start membership campground in North Georgia. We pay $375 per year service fees, and can stay 14 days a month March until December for free. The facilities are incredible, and we're spoiled. Best thing is that we never even move our RV. And we also have 25 rental trailers (with sliders) available for rent. Many of our co-owners don't even have RV's.

Since many RV'ers don't really travel that much, I'm just hopeful that you live in a place with good campgrounds and lakes. I would suggest going one or the owner--but only if you're willing to make the commitment to camp or boat in a good place.

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

I've owned both. I currently own a 22' cruiser that we overnight on a lot. Both can be expensive toys. Assuming your looking at a boat you can overnight on, I'd say RV's are less work and hassle. Pulling into a RV spot and hooking up is a lot easier than dealing with most boat ramps on a sunny Summer's day, especially with a larger boat. With a large boat you've got a trailer with brakes, tires and lights to maintain in addition to the boat. Boats are surprisingly susceptible to water damage from above and below if not maintained well. RV's are better built to withstand weather. Almost all RV's come with AC and a much bigger fridge than most boats. Hmmm, so why did I sell my motorhome and buy a boat? I'd rather be on the water than on the beach and am willing to put up with the extra hassle to have that opportunity, at least for now.

Hope this helps.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Lance camper that sits in my tow rig, so I can pull my boat and have my camper.
With the electric jacks on the camper, I can drop it in about 10 minutes, then use the truck to launch the boat without the problems presented by having a 2,100 pound visual obstacle in the truck.
When I park the boat trailer in my long, curving driveway, I swap the hitch to the FRONT receiver on the truck. Makes pushing a 24 foot pontoon boat really easy!

Downforce6

Seaman

Not certain, but I think part of the dilemma with the RV is that the idea was mentioned to us from a friend who has never owned an RV. By that I mean our initial impression of RV life was that of striking out on the open road and experiencing the wide open frontiers out west.

After investigating a little, it sounds more like traveling from one crammed RV park to another and living in close proximity to other people, their kids, their pets and their noise. We already live in a sub-division with zero lot lines and all the nuisances that come along with that. Don't get me wrong, we are not anti-social; we love people. But we also love peace and quiet. If RV life means living in a crowded campground, it makes me wonder what is the attraction ?

Not all campgrounds are created equal, sometimes the camp sites are side by side with no privacy whatsoever, and others have much more distance and trees between sites. Then again, I'm talking about real campgrounds, I've never understood why anyone wanted to camp in a gravel parking lot. (I.E RV PARK) but, I guess it's because most of them park their RV there and never move it all summer, you can't do that in a state or federal campground.

I don't know how it is everywhere in the country, but when I look for campgrounds around here I look for ones that start with the words, "Army corp of Engineers".... I find these to be the best to my personal liking.

It sounds to me like what you want to do is travel, so a RV is clearly the way to go. But, most everyone on this site is thinking the same thing, Why not both?

I want both, but I'm younger (41) and can't afford both just yet, so I got the boat first and plan to get a pop-up next year (for now, I'm still tentin it). but you said Class A, so I'm guessin a popup isn't what you're lookin for, I'm assuming you want something to live in for extended periods of time. But if "on the move" is what you're intending, and your more outdoorsy than "flatscreen TV and a couch", the popup is really easy to pull around and will save on gas.

I like the suggestions about renting both and seeing which you like best, that's what I would do. And you know, it goes both ways, You can always pull your RV around the country and rent a boat whenever and where-ever, you decide. Of course you could pull your boat and rent cabins and hotel rooms.

With the little information given... I'd say the RV is for you, but who knows? Go rent you a boat, rent you an RV. I don't know where you are at financially, but you can pick up a suitable RV (Maybe not class A, I dunno) and a used bowrider/pontoon... Not gonna break your bank I doubt, one doesn't work out, back on craigslist it goes.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I live smack dab in the middle of 15 million people. I am 35 miles due east of Downtown LA. And I can find reasonably private campsites within a half hour of here. I can get close to off the grid within an hour.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you live in an area or plan to travel to areas where you DON'T have to go to RV camps, you're in business. Otherwise, 99% of them are horrible places. They pack you in like cattle.

bustoff

Cadet

I guess the tipping point came when it was time to pay my taxes and the state upped the cost again. (In Missouri we pay property taxes on things we own and this one was a serious hit.) With taxes, insurance, cost of fuel, maintenance, over night parking fees, and licensing we could stay in a lot of 5 star hotels and spend a lot less.
We also live in MO and worried about the personal property tax on an RV and have no clue how much of a hit that would be. If you don't mind what did those various costs run you a year ? Shoot, I forgot I would need to pay storage.
What did you think about those RV parks ? I hear some are relaxing and some are crowded and noisy.