Boat names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This is the biggest group of boaters I have conversed with, and it is the first group that almost never mentions a name for their boat. It's "my Bayliner", or "our pontoon", etc., etc. This is also the only group that doesn't know my boat as "Sunshine III", rather than "my Whaler".<br /><br />'Nuff of that! I want to know what you call your boat(s).<br /><br />I have owned 6 boats. The Larson 16 was "Squirt", the Tracker. . .well it was what I called it and the censor wouldn't let me say that on this forum. My Whaler Sakonnet 16 was "Sunshine", The Outrage 18 was "Sunshine II", the Sourpuss 13 was "Heidi Yawl" and the (current) Montauk 17 is "Sunshine III". I also name some of my tow vehicles: "Big Blue" was a '78 Grand Wagoneer, "Das Panzer" was a '73 MB 450SE and the (current) '98 MB ML320 is "Shining Armor".<br /><br />Now, tell me about your boats' names, and tow-ers, too.<br /><br />Tight lines.<br />JB
smile.gif

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat names.

OK J.B. you asked for it!...#1-14'Sea King #2-14'Lighting Rod #3-20'-Big Red #4-21'-My Sharona #5-22'Big Rod. All are still living except Sea King he went up in smoke. Boat names are interesting to me,especially those with two meanings like "KNOT GUILTY". Let's here some more...

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I am a rookie. I have only had 2 boats. THe Topaz was "Bill Me", because I was so crazy about sailfishing, and the Robalo I inherited is one that my Dad owned when I was a young adult. We named it the Triple K, because Dad's name was ken as well, and my brother's name is Kevin. But living in a "politically correct" world, we just call it the "Robalo" now. We use "Bill me" as the call name on the VHF, but it is not really that vessel. I am afraid to rename her, and afraid to use the name. Whattaya think? We truly didn't think of the implications when we named her the first time, I guess we were just naive.<br /><br />Had a 82 Grand Wagoneer that we called "Woody".

JB

I like, "Bill Me". I don't understand what is politically incorrect about "Triple K", but then there are a lot of things I don't understand about modern paranoia.<br /><br />Smooth sailing.<br />JB
smile.gif

JB

BTW, Krosemond, "Squirt" was named after a playmate in Southern Pines where I grew up in the 40s. <br />JB
smile.gif

SeaBear

Seaman

If you called it 'Triple K' it could end up burnt?<br />My boat's name is 'Frequently' but I didn't name her and I do know she frequently needs expensive petrol! <br /><br />The best I've seen is 'Blow Job' [hope that gets through?] on a sail boat!<br /><br />One on my marina is called 'Diks-lek-sic' - I'm not sure that is that funny but each to their own?

Barry&Lori

Seaman

well my 16 foot glasply called CASPER because its all white and the name is small enough to fit on either side of the bow (port&starboard). couldn,t fit supercalafradulisticexbealladowshis on there so I had to settle for casper

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB, 3 K's in the south has a very distinct implication. Maybe I should rename her "Special K", but I have always heard renaming a vessel is bad luck.<br /><br />Glad to hear you have noble blood, being of of NC descent. I grew up in the triangle, but my Uncle ran a NCSU ag extension farm in Sand Hills, about 15 miles from Southern Pines. That is where I learned to quail hunt.<br /><br />My favorite spot in NC is now Morehead City, where I have a small house on the Calico Creek. The big rock blue marlin tourney is going on this week. I wish I was fishing it, but the captain I used to mate for in the tourney on his 1969 40' Hatteras has gotten too old to fish 4 days out of 6. Check out www.thebigrock.com this week for realtime updates on the tourney. <br /><br />
smile.gif

JB

Hmmm. As I said, "Paranoia". <br /><br />Tight lines.<br />JB
smile.gif

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

I used to have an '87 Bayliner with an 85 Force on it that was always refered to as the "Minnow".... It was always a mystery where she was going to break down and what island she was going to strand me on!!! <br />Actually, she was called many more names, but the filters here would just "***" them out.
biggrin.gif
<br /><br />My latest boat has no name yet, but its never left me stranded yet so it has yet to "earn" one.....<br />Nav

JB

I can identify with that, Nav. . . but I would think that a success would be more important than a failure. For example, I know of a Whaler 13 that brought a couple through a severe squall that was re-named "Molly Brown". I really like that one but I wont use a name that is "taken".<br /><br />Fair skies.<br />jb
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My Penn Yan was "sand Dollar",because it could go in 6" of water (the sand Part), but<br />at a high rate of fuel consumption (the dollar part).<br />My 12Footer is a Fishfinder/VHF equipped 12' lluminum,named it "12Footer".<br /><br />My Bayliner Capri (re-aranged letters to spell C.R.A.P.I), I named "3rd Mortgage".

wesal1

Seaman

My contender is called Back Pocket. That is the spot that the money comes from.<br /><br />My truck is called simply "bo"<br />That happens to be the same name of my yellow lab?

SeaBear

Seaman

Krosemond - I had a thought about your 'Triple K', etc - how about '3 Kilos' [If K=Kilo in US?] ;-)

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

SeaBear,<br /><br />I'm not sure that would go over real well if you boated off the shores of South Florida. Those DEA agents dont usually have a good sense of Humor. hahaha
biggrin.gif
<br />Nav.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a person I knew name his boat after his wife "Crack of Dawn", becouse that was the first thing he sees when he gets up, and his wife's name is Dawn....I thought that was very funny.

surfkruzer

Cadet

I just refinished/rebuilt a 1957 Trojan that hasn't seen the water yet and is in need of a name. It was handed down to me from my Dad after sitting for many many years in a barn and given up for dead. It has been somewhat of a painful restoration at times, (see my post, "Mahogany Deck Woes") <br />and I'm sure she will continue to be high maintenance, but except for the Spar Varnish incident she is a thing of beauty. <br /><br />Any suggestions for a name?

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SeaBear, Nav is right about the name 3 kilos for South Florida. Living in Stuart, Fl for ten years, I was boarded on more than one occassion for a "courtesy check" after returning from the bahamas or a considerable distance offshore. Once the Customs agent without a sense of humor casually mentioned that he didn't want to break his chainsaw out.
smile.gif

SeaBear

Seaman

What a dozy bear I am! I didn't think about that ... wasn't sure if kilo was used in US - thought it was a unit of weight for Europe?<br /><br />Is Kilo used for the letter K in the phonetic alphabet in the US?<br /><br />surfkruzer - with Trojan and wood I am thinking of a certain wooden horse ... how about 'Helen of Troy' - hope that doesn't mean anything in Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.