Boat MPG ? 120HP Evinrude

striper2101

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat MPG ? 120HP Evinrude

My first boat was a 1990 20 Sunbird Cuddy it had a 120 Johnson VRO (same engine), the gas tank was around 30 gallons. My boat was a little heavier, but I would run around all day fishing and burn atleast 3/4's of a tank. I would think the best you get is 2mpg, but most likely it will be somewhere between 1 and 2 mpg. The engine was bullet proof, by the time I got it, it was 10 years old and probably had 1000 on it. I ran it for 4 years and the compression was still perfect when I sold it. It was smoky and sucked the gas, but it always started. Just make sure your VRO pump is good or you will toast the engine. I replaced it on mine when I got it for peace of mind. The part is around $350 I believe.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

My first boat was a 1990 20 Sunbird Cuddy it had a 120 Johnson VRO (same engine), the gas tank was around 30 gallons. My boat was a little heavier, but I would run around all day fishing and burn atleast 3/4's of a tank. I would think the best you get is 2mpg, but most likely it will be somewhere between 1 and 2 mpg. The engine was bullet proof, by the time I got it, it was 10 years old and probably had 1000 on it. I ran it for 4 years and the compression was still perfect when I sold it. It was smoky and sucked the gas, but it always started. Just make sure your VRO pump is good or you will toast the engine. I replaced it on mine when I got it for peace of mind. The part is around $350 I believe.

How many hrs/yrs are the vro' pump spos to last ? Boat only has 220 total on it... any way to test its strength, before knowing if i should have to replace it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is no magic number for durability of any part on any engine. Sometimes things break the minute they are placed into service or a short time later (in the industry called infant mortality). Some never break. The best way to tell if the VRO is functioning is to keep a very close eye on the oil level in the tank. It should continually drop as fuel is consumed. One way to do this is to place a mark (piece of tape) the oil level in the tank when you fill up with fuel. When you have used 6 gallons (or a multiple there of) add oil to the tank to bring the level back up to the mark. For every six gallons used it should take one pint of oil. While that's not an exact measure, it is close enough to indicate whether or not the VRO is working properly. At this point I will add that many engine failures are blamed on the VRO when in fact the problem was caused by a dirty carburetor(s) that allowed one or more cylinders to run lean hence scoring the cylinder/piston or worse. The damage may look like a lubrication failure but in fact it was a carburetor issue. Use a fuel system treatment such as SeaFoam or a host of others regularly to keep carbs clean.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully you will take my suggestion and add that water/fuel separator. Maybe you have one, you did not say. Also, you should decarb that motor. Here is the best thread I can find here that tells you how to do it. Your carbs and your motor will love you for it. Should help get that mpg up a bit as well....or is that gph..... God only knows what you may hear next :D Good luck! :)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

By the way, ebry710 ( a forum member) has the same motor as yours. Might be nice to give him a pm and see what he thinks you should be doing for maintenance issues..

Tinman57

Seaman

You should get around 3 miles per gallon. To find out for sure, run through a 6 gallon tank while using a GPS to count the number of miles you travel.