Boat motor seized?

Namluu248

Cadet
I have a 1996 century with a 4.3 vortec engine. I just put a new long block in it did the 10hr break in on the motor, ran fine yesterday. went to start it today and won't turn over so checked my battery it was good so thought it might be froze up starter so I took off the starter and try to crank the motor by hand motor turn but really hard when turning by hand. Could this be a seized motor? Thanks in advance

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat motor seized?

Maybe a bad outdrive? First pull the sparkplugs and see if she will crank and spit out water. If so, replace manifolds, risers. gaskets as necessary. If that's not it, pull the outdrive. Maybe it seized up?

Post in I/O forum

Namluu248

Cadet

Maybe a bad outdrive? First pull the sparkplugs and see if she will crank and spit out water. If so, replace manifolds, risers. gaskets as necessary. If that's not it, pull the outdrive. Maybe it seized up?

Post in I/O forum

Ok so I pull #1cly spark plug and crank it by hand but it would stop and won't turn anymore?should I take all the spark plug out? Imma take the outdrive out and see what happen :( sad just bought the boat and it's giving me headache already.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like its hydraulically locked, remove plugs and crank over to blow out. Did you replace the exhaust shutters when you changed motor??

Namluu248

Cadet

Sounds like its hydraulically locked, remove plugs and crank over to blow out. Did you replace the exhaust shutters when you changed motor??

No I didn't replace exhaust shutter.so I did take the plugs out water blew out when crank by hand, so is it the manifold and the riser going bad Or just the exhaust shutter going bad and is it possible it damage the motor? Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If engine froze and cracked could be a manifold but here lately if and a couple engines that was full of water due to shutters.