Boat jumps off trailer, won't load onto trailer.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all.
My boat is a pain to get on the trailer. I have to go and stand in the water and guide it on, then drive out, check its on then repeat if its not on the centre rollers properly. I am unsure if the ribs are causing this. Also if i drive it home (500m from the ramp it quite often jumps off. Pics are attached, what do i need to do to make this boat retrievable and sit happily on this trailer???

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat jumps off trailer, won't load onto trailer.

Winch, stern guides, couple of additional rollers and tie it down before towing. Looks like the existing rollers could use some adjustment as well.
Just my initial thoughts though.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yea, I'm thinking the same things . . . Too much weight on the keel rollers not enough on the outer rollers. Need more outer rollers and they need to take more of the load. Boats use the outer rollers and/or bunks to center themselves. If the keel rollers are doing most of the work, the boat will jump around on the trailer as you travel.

Bondo

Staff member

Also if i drive it home (500m from the ramp it quite often jumps off.

Ayuh,.... Ya have to tie the boat down to the trailer,....

Gravity is Never enough....

sublauxation

Lieutenant

It's also a pain to get them on straight if you dunk the trailer too deep.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

your outside rollers are set in the worst possible place on the hull... they need to move in or out so that they will ride flat on the hull. As it is now the strakes are positioned in the center of the rollers. Also I agree that more rollers would be a good idea... not for getting the boat centered but for even support of the hull....... As mentioned above, don't back in so deep and DEFINITELY securely strap the boat down to the trailer at both rear corners and at the bow eye..... Last, guide poles will get her on centered AFTER you fix the roller issue without you having to get it lined up perfectly by hand.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

From your picture it looks like the keel rollers are too high. Put most of the weight on the keel rollers and the keel will ride right up in the middle of the spool and stay centered. If the outside rollers are tight on the hull, but you can still turn each one by hand then you got it right. Put on a set of guide posts and you'll have the best of everything.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply guys.
I did initially dunk too deep on retrieval, and then tried less and less, still did not help with the retrieval.
Where should i add more guide rollers too? Middle of the trailer? Back of the Trailer and halfway up the hull?
What are chines?
Sorry guys, pretty confused.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The chimes are the different steps on the hull.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the chines are the things setting on your rollers... they are steps instead of flat.. they will cause you all sorts of grief because if the roller gets inside them it will tend to stay there

Also look into self centering keel rollers... best thing since.... err.... vegemite? :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The chimes are the different steps on the hull.

I have chimes on one of my clocks at home !!! :lol:

I know what you meant though. :) and it was only a typo !!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the reply guys.
I did initially dunk too deep on retrieval, and then tried less and less, still did not help with the retrieval.
Where should i add more guide rollers too? Middle of the trailer? Back of the Trailer and halfway up the hull?
What are chines?
Sorry guys, pretty confused.

Boy I can't believe the amount of misinformation in one single post.....LOL.

The ole Funk & Wagnals dictionary is your best friend. Why is that so hard?

I realize "chime" was a typo.

The chine is the intersection between the bottom and the side of the hull. Several posts here are referring to the strakes. That's in F&W and wikipedia as well. The chine has nothing to do with this problem.

Forget about the chimes. The bottom rollers can be moved inboard or outboard to fit the strakes if you like, but not 100% necessary.

A pair of vertical guide rollers will solve your problem. Google "roller side guides" or "roller guide ons". They will stick straight up and contact the side of the boat so it can't move port or stbd. In other words, the boat will be right in the middle of the trailer. IBoats sells them.

If you can't find them, repost and I'll take the time to look up the part number.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

YEP! right on jim... I know better too but sometimes the ole brain gets conflusternated these days... UGH... YES STRAKES....

If you get the bottom rollers away from the STRAKES it will help and the guide mentioned will help though while it wouldn't hurt a thing, they don't need to be rollers since VERY little force will be on them.

I have edited my above posts with the correct term:facepalm:

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So i need more or less weight on my keel rollers?

Yea, I'm thinking the same things . . . Too much weight on the keel rollers not enough on the outer rollers.

From your picture it looks like the keel rollers are too high.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So i need to raise the side rollers to take more of the load, and add a pair of side rollers, or roller guide on's.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

On a lap strake hull like this I was wondering if a different type roller/bunk might work better . I may be way off base here but it seems with the 2 wheel type they may kinda jump from strake to strake . I have never used the roller bunks so I am speaking with total inexperience .

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

So i need to raise the side rollers to take more of the load, and add a pair of side rollers, or roller guide on's.

I think a set of guide rollers or guide bunks to guide the boat on just where you need it and good tie down straps will solve most if not all of your problems. You want most of the weight of the boat resting on the keel as that is the strongest part of the boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if you stand in the water you are doing it wrong. For almost any boat and certainly any trailer boat.

The most common mistake is going in too deep. Trailers have rollers and winches for a reason--pulling a boat on to the trailer. you shouldn't expect to float up to the winch stand (why do you think you have 20' of cable?) and your problems--from getting wet to being crooked--are all a result of sinking your trailer too deep. Get cranking.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Boy you're confused. Partly because there are conflicting replies. Re-read the past posts, and use the dictionary like I said....

The keel rollers take the load. The side rollers stable the boat so it doesn't tip over. The side rollers and guide ons are 2 different things. What you are calling side rollers are what you have now. What was recommended to add are guide rollers (which are on the side of the boat, not on the side of the bottom).

Here are side rollers:

Boat Loading Roller Guides - Tie Down Engineering - iboats

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Boy you're confused. Partly because there are conflicting replies. Re-read the past posts, and use the dictionary like I said....

The keel rollers take the load. The side rollers stable the boat so it doesn't tip over. The side rollers and guide ons are 2 different things. What you are calling side rollers are what you have now. What was recommended to add are guide rollers (which are on the side of the boat, not on the side of the bottom).

Here are side rollers:

Boat Loading Roller Guides - Tie Down Engineering - iboats

Jim is correct. I corrected the terminology of what I recommended for you accordingly. Basically you need guide rollers or guide bunks that are mounted on your trailer so they only touch the sides of your boat. They will "guide" the boat correctly over your existing rollers as you winch the boat up the trailer. Once you have winched the boat all the way up you then need to use "tie down straps" to hold the boat on the trailer. This will stop it from bouncing off the rollers.