Boat is overheating.

Harold Paratestis

Seaman Apprentice
My boat got hot while I was on the ocean. I topped the radiator off with salt wter but it didn't cool down. How come?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat is overheating.

Harry, I've all ready been Trogged once......You'll need to get more creative...hehe.......

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

It's hot on my boat out on the ocean also. I've tried topping myself off with salt water, but I only seem to get gritty, sticky and more thirsty. Maybe it's the same with your boat. I'll bet it would do better in fresh water.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Did you use de-salinzed salt wter? Did you put it in the heating or cooling radiator? Next time try running backwards till it cools down, than you can go forward till she gets hot again. Then when some one stops and asks what's wrong? You can tell them you’re not sure if you’re coming or going.

vipzach

Lieutenant

you guys aren't being very nice.........but was the salt water really warm? :D <br />I'm sorry, I could not resist!

austin123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take a cup of refined sugar mixed well in about a quart of fresh gasoline and add to your gas tank when it is about 1/4 full. This will make your engine run a lot cooler. Actually it has been known to make engines run quieter also, a lot quieter, so quite in fact that some people would say it was not running at all :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

:D you guys crack me up :D <br /><br />I think the sarcasm comes from the fact that it sounds like a trick question, and the fact that you dissed bondo - maybe - dunno.<br /><br />O/K, you overheated and had to fill up your closed cooling system - yeah? But it still overheated - yeah?<br /><br />Aldo

Harold Paratestis

Seaman Apprentice

When did I dis bondo? If I did, I assume he would speak up for himself. As to the other questions, yes and yes. Thanks.

Dunaruna

Admiral

"recommend the biggest boat with the smallest OMC. That way bondo will have something to talk smack about. Ever since that girl with the OMC dumped him.....<br /><br />--------------------<br />Call me Harry"<br /><br />Sort of sounds like dissing to me. Maybe you need to add some of these<br /> :D :D <br /><br />Anyway, how much water did you need to put in the tank? If it was a lot then you've obviously got a leak- that's problem number one. Getting the salt out of the system - problem number 2. Fix those two things and then check the operation of the raw water pump, if it's not up to the task - that's problem number 3.<br /><br />In an emergency, salt water will do the same job as fresh water. Urinating the tank will do the same job as fresh water. Filling the tank up with beer will do the same job................<br /><br />Aldo<br /><br />Aldo

Harold Paratestis

Seaman Apprentice

Is this better?<br /><br />recommend the biggest boat with the smallest OMC. That way bondo will have something to talk smack about. Ever since that girl with the OMC dumped him.....<br />EDIT: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

You never want to put salt water in a closed cooling system! <br />The best way to bring the temp down is to remove one of the large hoses on the front of the engine. This will allow water to fill the compartment around the engine thus cooling it sufficiently.<br />Be careful the water level doesn't cover the carb or the engine will flood. If this becomes a problem drill a few large holes in the bottom of the boat to allow some of the water to escape.<br /><br />Aldo!<br />
Filling the tank up with beer
I'm supprised you would advocate alcohol abuse for this minor problem! Beer should only be use to cool the skipper!