Boat in water

CarrierSquid

Seaman
I should be getting my boat in the water in about a week after some repair work.... Any sugestions on how i should run it once i do get it wet?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat in water

There's only two speeds right? wide open and stop? ;)
What kind of work did you have done?

CarrierSquid

Seaman

mostly cosmetic... paint job, some crack and gouge filling, glassed the deck, carpeting, rewired dash, that kind of thing... the one thing i am worried about is that the boat, according to the previous owner, hasnt been on the water for 2 years.... so i am not sure what all i should do when i do drop it in...

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Enjoy it!!!! I would give it a good shakedown, all speeds and the like, but theres no "break in" on fiberglass. If it handles well, you're good!

Terry

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

If the motor hasn't run in quite a while ya may want to read this first...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

As to the work you had done, take a few moments when first splashing her, look for any water coming in etc, check that your bilge pump works, and that you have all necessary safety equipment on board, and try not to beach her on gravel ;)..................have fun!

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As long as you won't be holding anyone up at the ramp, I would back her in the water and leave her on the trailer for a few minutes while you look around for any leaks. Then take her out slowly. Make sure there's no problems shifting, steering, or trimming. Take her on up to planing speed. Listen and feel for any unusual vibrations, knocks, pings, grinds, etc. while going straight and while turning. If you are satisfied, take her on up close to WOT for a bit and up and down the rpm range just listening and feeling. If you are satisfied still, GIVE HER HELL!!!!!!!!! And have some fun will ya, while the rest of us work on our boats:D

CarrierSquid

Seaman

might be a bit longer than i thought before i get her in the water.... mechanical issues developed and need to get addressed before i can even think about dropping her in.... :mad:

CarrierSquid

Seaman

ok well got it in the water... no leaks.... ran great for about 15 min and then started loosing power.... then couldnt get it started again.... think i have it figured out that i have a bad alternator... atleast i hope thats what it is... any ideas??? can only get 2000 RPM at full throtle.... engine sounds like it is starving itself from fuel and looses power.... i am replacing the fuel filter.... any help would be great

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your best bet is to post your engine questions in the appropriate engine repair section. The engine gurus don't spend much time in resto.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you have a Shore based contact, a cell phone, an OAR or PADDLE, a Fire Extinguisher, lifejackets etc... Be a GOOD BOY SCOUT and be prepared. It ain't fun if yer sinkin , dead stopped, or on Fire!!!

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you ever change the water pump impeller? After sitting for 2 years that would definitely be high priority on my list of things to do.