Boat design question

elpirata76

Cadet
I have a 14.5 foot center console not sure of the make but a believe is a Seebreeze. I'm in the process of replacing the deck. Ive already ripped off the old deck and found the hull filled with foam and only 3 2x4 were laying on top of the the foam holding the deck in place. Was this a type of design back then or was this a cheap easy fix. I'm going to post pics later today. Thanks :)

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat design question

sounds like a previous owner way of "fixing" a problem...

the deck should be supported by the stringer and bulk heads...

The foam is just filler and floatation

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

What was the pattern of the 2x4s? Were they glassed in any way?

elpirata76

Cadet

[
tn
Here are a couple of pics of my project Im trying to design a good frame so the deck is stable and not as heavy any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced..

elpirata76

Cadet
Need some help please

Need some help please

I ripped the deck off finding nothing but foam on the hull and three 2x4 on top of the foam. I'm not sure if I need to replace all that foam. Any tips on this project would be greatly appreciated.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need some help please

Your pics have not come through.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

We need more info...and pix. Is it a tinny? or fiberglass? Any stringers intact down under the foam? Is the foam wet and soggy? If so, rip it out. An old square-bladed shovel removes foam pretty well.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, these folks will like a little more info on your boat. The good news is ,you have come to the right place. These guys are know there stuff. If you use the search ,you will find a lot of discussion about replacing foam. I chose not to replace it. A bilge pump will easily get me back to shore on our little 1.5 mile lake.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It looks like you tried to link your pictures right out of your email account. That won't work. Set up an account at a free image hosting site like photobucket.com and link to them from here. Welcome to iboats.

elpirata76

Cadet

Sorry about that problem with the photos not showing, here are the boat pictures as of right now.

before.jpg

before%20(1).jpg

before%20(2).jpg

before%20(3).jpg

before%20(4).jpg

before%20(5).jpg

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a cool boat.

Seems like you will need to run 3 stringers and glass them over. The you can rest the deck over the stringers.

I would probably do pour in foam on this boat. that's just me though

erikgreen

Captain

It's entirely possible the 2x4s were just meant to spread the force of the deck out onto the foam.

If the foam was dense enough it could have been structural.

That doesn't mean it was a good idea, the factory does things cheap sometimes too.

Post some pics :)

Erik

elpirata76

Cadet

Thanks your boat is nice aswell and a sweet deal at 500 bucks. Iwas thinking about the pour in foam but wouldnt it get soaked and make the boat heavier. when i ripped the deck off there was foam and it was soaked. I do understand it makes the boat solid but my question is how will the water filter to the bilge pump? Thanks ..:)

erikgreen

Captain

Okay, looking at the hull (nice looking hull, by the way) I think it's a boston whaler type boat.

Basically the shallow hull plus low deck combine to make for very little space below the deck, so for floatation, strength, stiffness etc the manufacturer fills the void with foam that's dense enough to be structural. The 2x4s were probably meant to spread the deck load a bit, so the deck didn't flex enough to crack if it got pushed down in one spot hard, and to prevent crushing a crater into the foam.

As you might guess, this isn't a boat design that's made to have a bilge or to drain water once it's inside. It's basically supposed to be sealed. That can work, you just need to be careful about letting water get inside. If you have a bilge pump in the rear, it's probably just meant to drain the motor well or any water flowing off the top of the deck. You may even have scuppers for draining, better than a bilge pump any day.

Good news... if the foam gets wet, then it's heavier, but otherwise no big deal... if you look closely, there are in fact stringers installed already, no work on them is needed because they're not wood cored. (at least that's what it looks like. Check 'em, but I'm guessing they're either foam cored or hollow). Once the wet foam is removed, there's nothing else to rot or soak up water.

So... very little resto work beyond what you've done is needed. Basically to rework this boat to factory spec, you just need to get enough pourable foam to refill the hull.

You could install stringers and a couple ribs instead, but this boat was really designed to be completely filled with foam.

It's a design boston whaler's used for years... basically unsinkable, light, strong. I'd recommend going that way. Foam, level the top, put in some glass coated boards to spread deck weight, then a thin plywood deck coated with glass and you're ready to go.

Erik

elpirata76

Cadet

before3.jpg
before7.jpg
Here are some pics i took the foam off. Now im wodering what would be the best bet from this stage foward. Should I fill the hull up with foam again?? Thanks for the input.:D

elpirata76

Cadet

Ok so that set up is ligit : thats what I found when I tore the deck off. Basically foam filled hull with 2x4 over them to dispers the wieght. Is that what your recomending?:D

erikgreen

Captain

I'd go with a minimum four pound per cubic foot pourable polyurethane foam, like you get from US composites. Eight pound density if you can afford it. It's also sold as floatation foam:

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

Here's the downside: You'll need a lot of it, enough to fill the hull, and you need at least the four pound stuff, which is about $250 per 20 cubic feet. Twice the density is about twice the price.

You have to pour it in about 80 degree heat to get full expansion, very important.

I don't recommend you do some of the things others here have done to save money with foam.... pool noodles, sheets of insulation foam, etc are all out for you because they wouldn't be properly structural even when surrounded by poly foam. You need a single piece, basically.

On the up side, it's still a lot less work (and maybe cost) than glassing in stringers, framing supports, etc.

Erik

erikgreen

Captain

Weird.... I posted a long reply here twice that got deleted or lost, and looks like a couple of your replies did too???

erikgreen

Captain

Ah, okay... you started another thread for the same boat.

Duplicate threads are frowned upon here.. probably you should ask the admin to delete this one.

My replies are in the other thread.

Erik