Boat cover or not

rob123p

Cadet
Alright guys so here's the question if you kept the boat docked for the season would you put the boat cover back on every time you left it or not. Just in case it rained or not and so of course it would have to be a water proof cover. The reason I'm asking this is I'm of course trying to save some money, I have a cover that was buit custom but it is not waterproof. I just want to know can I get away with leaving the bass boat in the open all year long? Common sense would say no because obviously the elements will destroy more if left in the open vs if left covered. Anyways I guess I'm looking for some genius miracle from one of you guys.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Hi!
What I do with my boats is I cover them when I leave (only up on weekends). I don't cover them during the weekend usually UNLESS it is supposed to rain. I check the weather and if it is like 70%chance or more I throw the cover on. I wouldn't recommend leaving it uncovered all season. The wetness from rain can cause loads of mold, mildew, and Along with uv rays it ruin the vinyl. So basically I cover it when I leave and when it is going to rain.
As far as waterproofer I know a lot of people recommend 303 Fabric Guard. The stuff you got may work though, I am not sure. As far as waterproofing, the sprays usually are to recoat a cover that already was waterproof. I don't know if they work for what you want. It might work!
Good luck

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The correct old adage is "pay me now or pay me later".

Forget rain - upholstery is meant to get wet. UV is another story.

The last boat I owned was 14 years old when I sold her and the vinyl couldn't be told from new. The second owner kept her outside for 2 short years in the Summer and the interior was completely trashed.

Not putting the cover on is pure lazy. Not having the cover waterprooofed is penny wise and pound foolish.

Personally, ALL my boats are covered when not in use, and in the garage besides.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Years back I kept my boat in a slip, when I left, the boat was covered with a water proof cover with proper air vents for venting. In all those years I never had a problem. A few years back I stored a boat in my backyard with a poor quality cover, cash was short so had to use the old rag as a cover. Within a few years the interior aged tremendously by being exposed to the sun and rain etc. I learned my lesson, my current boat sits in my closed barn out of the elements or I am using it on the water.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hey everyone!

For treating any boat cover to restore water repellency, it is very important to make sure that the boat cover fabric/canvas material is thoroughly cleaned, residue free, and dry before applying any product. Some of you have mentioned 303? Fabric Guard and this products main purpose is to help restore water and stain repellency. If you have any questions, please contact us or shoot us a PM. Hope this helps!

Have a great day!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`m taking it the slip is uncovered. I would find a way to get a good quality cover on it if that is the case. Protect your investment. The sun and weather will tear it up just sitting outside. I cover mine even in a covered slip.

Maclin

Admiral
With a covered slip I always end up thinking about spiders and bird droppings and the unknown blowing in/over/around, can't imagine not covering.

rob123p

Cadet
Thanks guys for all your answers, I'm going to take your advice and not get lazy about it. I'll waterproof my current cover this Friday and see how she holds up in the rain. If it fails I'll spend the 300-400 dollars on a waterproof cover.