Boat audio system

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat audio system

Nothing against Sony, but I have heard nothing but good reviews of the Kenwood Marine stuff, not a lot of good stuff but a fair share of bad stuff about the Sony. JMHO

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a coaxial set up DOES NOT hurt the sound, the tweeter "post" is acting like a "phazeplug" you see on higher end home and care speakers (the aluminum bullet like thing) and actually ADD MORE CONTROL to the mid-woofer movement.
Agreed, however I was just using the term "mids" to mean the coaxials he was already using. I realize that , being technical, a mid is a separate speakers, but a coaxial is a "mid" and a "tweeter" paired into one, generally with compromised performance from the "mid" due to the post running through the middle of it. There are a number of designs that put the tweeter on a bridge over the mid, which doesn't compromise the integrity of the "mid" cone. In any case, I think we agree on the basic setup and non-importance of brands when building a budget system.

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UGH...a POS generic head unit will sound like crap no matter what quality of speaker or speaker/amp combo you hoook it up to. all audio components are as valuable as the next.

bad head unit + great speakers = awful sound. great head unit + bad speakers = bad sound. you get the point (I hope). buy quality brand names with the features you want...preferably local, pay a few bucks for a failing economy, possibly helps a neighbours friends son keep his job at the local audio store. soooo many questions makes me wonder if even 10% of the people on this site should be twisten wires. 80% of the boats ending up in my hands are victims of novice DIYers....marrettes ans sparks are alway fun, when it was a SIMPLE "remove n replace head unit job" double UUUGGGHHHH. Oh...and all the wires and interconnects are as important as your electronic components. research research...and more research, and not the gear...but the RIGHT way to install it all.

I think the least important is the head unit. Biggest thing with a head unit, imo, is if it has a level control for the external RCA outputs. Mine doesn't, and I wish I didn't get it. But it was the cheapeast most generic.

Most important aspect to any system is the speakers. Unfortunetly there are no specs that they can list to indicate how well it sounds. Some give frequency response, phase, etc, but its essentially meaningless. Unfortunetly, best bet is to rely on recomendations.

I tried a fairly cheap pair of Kicker speakers (~$100) and was very dissapointed with them. The stock Clarions sounded slightly better. Recently heard some JL Audio that were absolutely amazing, but at ~$450 they are too much.

I have some very expensive home audio speakers, but I'm not willing to spend the same amount for sound on the boat.