Boarding ladders

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone ever put a different ladder on their boat? The one I have on the boat is very hard to get back on-board.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boarding ladders

I have a 22' Sylvan Offshore, and there was a rail down the sides and around the stern, molded into the boarding ladder. The ladder was attached to the transom with 2 brackets and the bottom rung was only about 6-12" under the water surface. It was awkward to board if you couldn't pull yourself up with your arms before stepping onto the lower rung. Anyway, I always found the rail in the way when fishing so I removed it and the ladder. I bought a folding ladder on ebay and attached it to the transom. The lower rung is considerably lower in the water and it has 2 rails that reach over the top of the transom to hang onto. Boarding is so much easier, just step on the ladder and climb. An added benefit is boarding when on the trailer, no more jumping up for the bottom rung on the ladder.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Me too!! Mine has two steps to get up and I am a big guy. I have to bend into a fetal position and then rock back and forth to gain momentum and on the count of three heave myself onto the swim platform while grabbing the handle on the transom. It is not a pleasant sight to see and I have already recieved an indecent act citation from the coast guard! I need a new ladder with 3 wrungs.:p

millrod

Recruit

I invented a set of platform handles to help me get on board. I am 65 so I need all the help I can get. Email me and I will give you the website I built.
Rodger