Bluegill

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
They are, however didn't want to deal with scaling/filleting them on this trip

Reactions: KJM

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Admiral, my dad & I all to go catching. If that means palm sized bluegill, it's all good....

Nice day on the water.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Very nice! Bluegill are sweet and tasty; my wife's favorite to catch. She caught a few this evening.

airshot

Rear Admiral
They are excellent table fare, but finding big ones can be a challenge. Also they put up a great fight. In my area of the great lakes the yellow perch is very popular, the bluegill tastes just a tiny bit sweeter than a yellow perch. Many years back had a friend on a private lake that had a really big bluegill population. On many trips we brought in limits of 10" fish, well worth the cleaning effort and made a fine meal !!

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wish we had more freshwater species around here. We are limited to trout mostly with salmon in larger rivers.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I wish we had more freshwater species around here. We are limited to trout mostly with salmon in larger rivers.
I hear ya...many years back I had family in Florida, made many fishing trips to the ocean. While great fun and the fish all have big teeth, I find my preference for the more mild fresh water fish for eating. As long as I am able, I plan on living near good freshwater fisheries, but I would assume there are many with the opposite opinion !!

Reactions: KJM

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Bluegill really are darn fine eating! They're actually my wife's primary target when we fish.

I posted this video 7 years ago and she still goes after the 'gills even just 2 days ago. The 11 bluegill in that little cooler weighed 8 pounds in total. Not bad and mighty tasty!

flashback

Captain
Wallies are tasty but we don't have much here.. the state stocks them but hard to find.. I really like the salt fish better! Snapper are lovely on the grill...

aspeck

Staff member
Bluegill are a great fish ... easy to catch and good to eat! I taught my youngest to like eating fish by taking the grill out on the boat and when she caught one I would quickly clean it and grill it ... she ate to her hearts content and there is something about a bluegill that is eaten less than 10 minutes after it has been caught ... it don't get much better than that!

If you want to see big bluegill ... follow Sarah "The Closer" Parvin on Facebook and Youtube. She and her dad have the "Slab Lab." It is about a 5 acre pond that they are working hard to raise record setting Coppernose Bluegill. Those things are beautiful and some are almost 2 pounds!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I just watched this a few minutes ago. It'd be great to catch whoppers like these! šŸ˜ƒ