Blue sky (up) Green Grass (down) trim pump

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I watched a guy pull his Sea Ray out last evening and drag the outdrive on the ramp. As I was loading my boat I noticed they were still at the waters edge so I asked if they needed help. "I just bought it and the drive won't go up". It's getting dark. I thought it may just be bound on the concrete ramp but no click or anything when he hit the up button. The down worked fine. I've heard some boats have a trim button and a trailer trim button but we could not find one. I went right to the pump and jiggled wires and thumped but then I noticed the three wires coming out of the pump motor were colored like my Johnson outboard. Up wire is sky Blue and down was grass Green. Since those wires ran right next to the main red feed wire I had the owner nick the red wire and nick the blue wire to short them together. That provided 12V directly to the up direction or pole of the motor. High fives for everybody! The drive went up and we beat the dark. If that did not work I was going to crack the hydraulic lines, lift the drive and suport it with drift wood. I guess his problem was in the trim switch or solinoid. I don't know where the solinoids would be on a MC. On the pump I'm guessing but it was burried deep and getting too dark to troubleshoot. Anyway remember that color code trick....

Maclin

Admiral
Good for them you were around to help. If you have tools it is pretty easy to remove the rear trim ram mounts also in a pinch.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
It would have a trailer up button and they were just probably using the trim button. Good thing you were there

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
It would have a trailer up button and they were just probably using the trim button. Good thing you were there

I thought the same thing. He said it worked perfect when he was running the boat it when he got to the ramp it would not go up. Where would a trailer up button be located? Boat looked to be about 10 years old.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Trailer buttons can be in any one of many locations. Most are just below the trim switch. The one I got caught on was the control with the UP trim switch being a 'double press'... Press it and that was trim, press it a bit harder, and that's the TRAILER switch.... I think that was a 4000 control. But I could be wrong. ;)

Chris.......

nola mike

Vice Admiral
That's a good way to remember which solenoid is which. Thanks!