Blown Subwoofer what does that mean?

FourWinnsLC

Seaman
What does a Blown Sub woofer mean? Ive read about partially blown subs and total blown subs. Ive taken the cover off and visually inspected the what i guess you call the cone? I'll call it the rubber, there's no holes tears or rubber coming apart from the speaker. Is there something more to a blown sub?

just for sake of information I have a MSP 1000 JBL self amped sub woofer that is distorted, worked great one day not the next, and we really have not cranked on the volume.

Wiring I read somewhere you can use a 9 volt battery and test the sub and or wiring. Directly off the sub i touch the wires to a 9 volt battery and the LED light came on for a split second and went out and it did not make any noise.

Thanks for your help
and let me know if you need to know anymore information that I might of left out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Blown Subwoofer what does that mean?

The term "blown" is a rather loose term meaning whatever is "blown" doesn't work as it should or doen't work at all. In the case of speakers, a torn cone or open voice coil could be interpreted as a blown sub-woofer. And it doesn't matter if it's a sub-woofer, tweeter or mid-range speaker. Of course a blown amp would also cause the speaker to not work. A nine volt battery is a DC current source. Connecting it directly to a speaker would make a small "thump". It can't do anything other than that.

fishrdan

Admiral

A blown sub is a cooked voice coil inside the speaker, coil of wires that got so hot it burned the insulation off the wire, shorting it out. If you push the cone up-down it can sound scratchy or locked in place, normally there is no noise manually moving the cone up-down.

For the 9V battery, tap the speaker leads on the battery and it should make a pop/thump noise as ST said.

You could also have loose wiring or a bad amp, making the sub sound bad.

FourWinnsLC

Seaman

Thanks guys, I'm assuming the Voice Coil is under the cone, so there is not a good way to visually inspect it?

and I do plan on checking on the loose wiring issue i started on that last night but the mosquitoes about lifted me out of the boat, and sucked all of my blood. :)

Thanks again.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm assuming the Voice Coil is under the cone, so there is not a good way to visually inspect it?

Correct, you would have to rip the speaker apart. Try pushing the cone down manually, every sub I've blown didn't pass this test, scratchy or stuck, cone wouldn't move freely.