Blown power packs

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can cranking with disconnected spark plugs damage power packs and can blown power packs by inductivity influence readings on tacho?
Motor charging - 13.75 V at low RPM - rectifier and regulator and stator o.k.
Tacho worked fine on 2 and 3 cylinder engines - switched to 4 shows double r.p.m, power packs double fire on all 4 cylinders.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Blown power packs

Yes,you never should crank an outboard with electronic igniton without having the sparkplugs grounded.

jonesg

Admiral

double firing can occur on some engines, especially optical ignitions, but you don't say what yr hp or model number, its impossible to help due to lack of info.

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both power packs on the motor are toasted -
1st - well done
2nd - rare done.
I ran the engine on both, then on one and after that the other; spark plugs removed from the opposite column of cylinders, there were three different performances - with one of the power packs it ran best. with both worse and with the other it didn't start.
It had double fire on the upper cylinder of the rare power pack only.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

On the powerpacks, there is a white wire and a black/yellow wire. These two wires lead to an internal diode. Using a ohm meter, you should get a reading in one direction and no reading in the other direction. Check that.

Also, the black/yellow wire......... Disconnect that wire from the powerpack(s) and connect a volt meter to the end that is part of the engine wiring harness. Have the volt meter set so that the slightest amount of voltage will register. Check for a voltage reading in all modes ie key off, key on, key in start mode. It would be a good idea to disconnect the cable leading to the electric starter to avoid cranking doing this test.

If the slightest amount of voltage is detected, either the ignition switch is defective or wired wrong or a short exists at some point in the wiring harness that is allowing voltage to cross over to that black/yellow wire.

Also, using that black/yellow wire terminal as a grounding point for any other accessories will allow voltage to find its way to the kill circuit of the pack.

Easy enough to check the ignition switch...... simply disconnect the black/yellow wire at the switch. If the voltage (if it exists) ceases to be, then obviously the switch is defective.

Bottom line..... the very slightest amount of voltage being applied to that black/yellow wire will destroy the pack. A faulty diode will result in both packs firing at the same time.

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Positive voltage applied to kill wire wont hurt.
Power pack mass is positive. Anyway kill switch is functioning just fine.
Maybe bad plugs or cranking without plugs damaged the power packs.
I don't know any thing about this motor, but that it was imported from Greece and maintained and serviced pretty badly.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You state "Positive voltage applied to kill wire wont hurt."

Oh really? Well then again, what do I know? Guess I better go buy a service manual.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Someone needs a manual and I don't think that it is Mr. Reeves.