Blower question. Do I need to run every time??

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Blower question. Do I need to run every time??

I turn my blower on a few minutes before starting and it runs until I shut the engine down. Better safe than sorry!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

No way, it can't be!!!! Everyone knows only us evil I/O owners go boom :D

I wonder how long my blower motor will last, I almost always forget to turn it off :redface:

Me too, my owners manual says to leave it on at low engine speeds as well as prior to starting...so mine is pretty much on ALL the time. Good thing they're a cheap replacement! :D

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

After last weekend its on if the boat is on. And for a few mins before starting.

Took a couple of our freinds out and found out they cant hang on to the tube worth a damn .... So theres to much time starting, stoping and sitting. I just leave it on now. I figure if it goes out on the lake ill hear it not running when im stoped. And its cheaper to buy one ever 1-2 yrs than to ruin our boat or worse due to not using it. ;)

Later

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Back when this thread started, I wrote about a guy I worked with who's baby was the only one to survive when his boat blew up due to not running the blowers before he started it. I'd have to say that if "Big D" (as we called him) were around today, he'd be glad to know that others have gained from his mistake.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

What I insisted on, for this exact reason...

An OUTBOARD-POWERED boat.

No fumes, No blowers, No explosions.

Amen! they cost more, but so many advantages to outboard.... cheaper to maintain, can tily out of water... lighter, no fumes, my list goes on. Your boat is supposed to float, doesn't the whole idea of cutting a whole in it to put the outdiive through just begging for trouble!! I've seen boats sunk in their slips from bad seals of exhausts that took in water ad the bilge failed....

YES staying on topic, use your blower at all times... I sold my buddy my 22 foot wellcraft last summer, and he took me out a month ago, we hopped in at the slip, removed the covers, and he hit the ignition.... I swear I was ready to bail out the second I heard the engine turning over.... I gave him crap and told him to turn on the blower.... he still doesn't do it... idiot.

skargo

Banned

Why do I/O discussions always get the holier than though OB guys chiming in? :confused: