Blocking primary water intake and using upper intake?

Johnsoncraft

Recruit
Hi guys, great forum!

I have a 1973 9.5hp johnson and I live on the Red Cedar river. There is a LOT of sand here and I am always crossing shallow sand bars. I just got this motor to replace my 1947 td20. The problem is the sand blows right into the lower water intake. There is no screen on it. I have never seen a water intake like this before. The cav plate is a few inches below the hull, and water is always flowing over the upper intake. My idea is to drill a few more holes in the upper intake cover and close the lower intake to keep sand out. This would not be permanent, so it ciuld be undone. What are your thoughts?

I don't think it would hurt. The impeller can only pull so much water anyway, and most modern outboards have their intakes higher anyway.

Johnsoncraft

Recruit
I want to add that I know the lower intake was designed to keep water moving through the motor in case the impeller went bad. I just don't like sucking up all of this sand/silt.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
OMC did offer a Chrome water pump kit for use in sandy/silty water part # 379449. Some dealers may still have it. Messing with the water supply is a fast way to create a clamp on anchor. But it is your engine/anchor