Blocking Diode ???????

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the purpose of the blocking diode on the remote control shifter. Mine is blue and cracked it is bad as I can measure resistance both ways and I know you should only read one way :( But which way should that be. Also would this prevent the motor from firing :confused:

seagirl

Cadet
Re: Blocking Diode ???????

you can tell the direction of current flow by looking at the arrow on the diode. the arrow points to the more positive side of the cicuit and the flow of electrons is the opposite how ever. power goes neg to pos. the arrow always indicates the direction of conventional current, or hole current, which is opposite of electron flow. this is why the arrow is at the more positve terminal which is the anode and the neg side is the cathode.<br />It probably is not the reason for the why the engine will not run. I could be wrong however, it is more likely to prevent revese current backfeed.<br />Additionally diodes do have some revese current flow known as bleed current but the magnitude is is more than 100 to 1. so it is not of consequence.<br />hope this helps. ;)