Blisters or paint flaking off? pics

jbcurt00

Staff member
To me it looks like prior blister 'repair' that didnt hold up.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously somebody tried to cover over previous problems with probably gel coat and now it is coming off. I would remove every bit of that layer and prep the hull for new paint or gel coat and it will look like new again. But before going to that much effort, make certain there are no other rot issues or problems with the structural supports, being the transom, floor and stringers. If those need replaced, you may want to find another boat or go in for the long rebuild process. Post some more pictures of the entire boat and a little further away so we can see what you're working with...

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my guess: too brittle epoxy paint on a hull with some flex and probably not good adhesion to start with. Probably should have has an epoxy primer and a flexible epoxy barrier coat paint...

paul
progressive epoxy polymers, inc (epoxyproducts.com)

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like very old fiberglass hull, obviously not taken care of at all. I would think that there are serious internal structural issues. A very close inspection of the exterior and interior would be in order before throwing ANY amount of money in it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Like others have said, it looks like a failing first attempt at a repair. It doesn't mean there's more wrong with the boat, and the blisters are cosmetic, so it doesn't mean it can't or won't do what a boat is supposed to do. It just means that without some work it won't be looking good doing it. You could also just smooth it out and put more bottom paint over it, it will hide the ugly and give you more time, especially if you keep it on the trailer.

Speakrdude

Ensign
The boat is a 96 Maxum 3200SCR. Everything inside the bilge looks great! (Except for the 2 454's that someone let freeze and crack. Just finishing up installing two fresh ones.)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What is the white layer under the blistering layer? Normally people apply an epoxy barrier coat, then cover it with either bottom paint or some kind of epoxy piant, then bottom paint. It's not uncommon for less than stellar prep work resulting in lifting paint. There was one pic earlier that showed what looked like a deeper blister with a darker area and some filled in pits.

Speakrdude

Ensign
I found two areas, probably one that you are talking about, that did not show that gray paint, but only smooth fiberglass. (undamaged) Like the gray lifted off of that as well.
Oh well, time for repair.
I am considering hiring a soda blasting company to remove the bubbled layer. Not sure if that will work. I have -0- knowledge of soda, walnut, or sand blasting. I have read that sand blasting is not the preferred method.
I have ordered, per the Interlux tech advisors recommendations, 2 gallons of interprotect 2000, and two gallons of Fiberglass Bottom Kote NT. (or something similar to that)