Blew a belt running from a tornado..

rlamothe

Seaman Apprentice
...sorta.
So I put in 87 capri in her slip las t night but we've had severe weather warnings here in MA Suomi did t get to take her for a run. Skies looked favorable today Suomi ran up the river for a while till it was time to go in and then all of a sudden I lower down and stall out. Lift the engine bay and the block is smoking. The belt hat runs the alternator and water pump snapped. I flag down a guy fishing not far away but he says "sorry guy I'm super low on gas". So I'm sitti there listening to the radio station talk about tornado warning in the Teton right off the river a out 5 miles up when z guy in a pontoon comes by. He says he's headed o my marina to gas up and doesn't k one if he has enough to et us both in but "he'll here guys swimming is more fun than two". So he pulls me in and we make no problem . Refuses gas money says just don't be "that guy"

Now that I have your attention does anyone have a diagram or a pic of the alternator belt for 1987 volvo pen aq131a I/o? Got the belt but need to know how to put it on.

rlamothe

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Blew a belt running from a tornado..

I didn't try to turn it on I figured best to leave it till I calmed down

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm thinking a belt may be the least of your concerns.... You MAY be looking for an engine... GOTTA watch those gauges

Here's hoping she's ok but if not then hopefully the new engine comes with a good belt

I didn't try to turn it on I figured best to leave it till I calmed down

Best to do some careful checking before firing her up. Remove the plugs, ground the coil, and spray some light oil in the cylinders and then crank it. Hopefully she'll turn over without problem :)
Then do a compression test.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

...sorta.
So I put in 87 capri in her slip las t night but we've had severe weather warnings here in MA Suomi did t get to take her for a run. Skies looked favorable today Suomi ran up the river for a while till it was time to go in and then all of a sudden I lower down and stall out. Lift the engine bay and the block is smoking. The belt hat runs the alternator and water pump snapped. I flag down a guy fishing not far away but he says "sorry guy I'm super low on gas". So I'm sitti there listening to the radio station talk about tornado warning in the Teton right off the river a out 5 miles up when z guy in a pontoon comes by. He says he's headed o my marina to gas up and doesn't k one if he has enough to et us both in but "he'll here guys swimming is more fun than two". So he pulls me in and we make no problem . Refuses gas money says just don't be "that guy"

Now that I have your attention does anyone have a diagram or a pic of the alternator belt for 1987 volvo pen aq131a I/o? Got the belt but need to know how to put it on.

I'm still trying to figure out what that first paragraph says.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

roscoe I'll try to interpret it :)

The alternator belt broke on my VP AQ131a engine. Now I need a diagram to refit it.

(I used to edit USA diver's reports on offshore units, I understand Bull Sh**t)