Black stains on kids life jackets.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the best way to get some those black stain spots off of our kids life jackets. They evidently got put up wet one time and have black spots that look to have been mold or mildew.
My wife ran them through the washing machine with no luck. Will simply laying them in the sun do the trick? What seem to work best?

Thanks in advance!
Don

southkogs

Staff member
Mold is pretty rough ... I'd do bleach for mold on most things, but I'm not sure I'd want bleach logged into the floatation and fabric. If it's mold, I'd actually lean toward replacing 'em.

haulnazz15

Captain
Lol, just put em in the sun. It'll dry up any of the moisture that allows the mold to survive. I wouldn't go trashing perfectly good PFD's because of a mold stain.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Lol, just put em in the sun. It'll dry up any of the moisture that allows the mold to survive. I wouldn't go trashing perfectly good PFD's because of a mold stain.

+1 Im with Haulnazz on this one,,, let the sun bake it good.....mold and UV rays dont like each other.... dont toss em........after every use, I take our and let em bake in the sun to dry out...everyone knows mold takes foot hold when that's not done

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all!

Looks like "A baking in the Sun" is in order.

They have dried good before running them through the washer. They are currently laying in our spare tub, but will move them outdoors and hang them in the sun.

Don

NYBo

Admiral
Definitely DON'T use bleach. Too likely to damage the fabric, rendering the PFDs unsafe (and not countable towards your required number).

oldjeep

Admiral
Light on fire, buy new ones and don't forget to take them out of the boat and hang them up to dry after each trip.