black max power trim eats solenoids

Garrett1992

Cadet
Hello all, I have a 1980 black max 200hp with the single ram power trim with the motor mounted in the boat. What i can't understand is why this thing continuously eats solenoids. (It has two). One will go out right after another after about 3 or 4 months after i put the new ones in. I dont take the boat out much... maybe once a month. I turn the perko switch off whenever i park the boat in the yard(i dont know if that matters). Does anybody have any clue why they would just go out after a few months? tired of spending that 20 dollars over and over again. Thanks!

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: black max power trim eats solenoids

Cheap solenoids. Made from cheap thermoplastic. The heat from normal use softens the plastic and lets the contacts move.
Try to find better quality solenoids, or use them in short bursts only with a pause in between. A full cycle from full up to full down then back up again is all it takes to melt one..

Garrett1992

Cadet

I've bought like three different brands of them thinking maybe I just got the cheap ones. I thought they would last a bit more than three months though.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Disconnect, clean all grounds, the trim motor is grounded thru the NC contacts of the relays, a poor ground to the motor will draw excessive amps, melting the relay.