Birds

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you keep birds from sitting and crapping all over your boat?The swallows love to sit on my boats bow rail and sh!t all over.Any ideas?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Birds

when you park or dock....place a mock owl or hawk some where on your boat

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Some people use large Owl decoys to keep them away. There's a guy on the lake that I fish that plays loud rock music during Goose nesting season to keep the Honkers off of his dock. Some people hang shiney pie pans that blow in the wind on their docks to keep the birds away.

... but if you have any Foo's frequenting your area don't disturb them because their droppings are good luck, everybody knows that if the Foo sh!ts you should wear it!!!;)

bekosh

Lieutenant

We have the same problem with swallows around here. I know a guy who clamped an old fishing reel to his rail then ran the fishing line through a series of clamps all the way around his bow rail. The swallows would try to land and hit the fishing line.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

It's a big problem, everywhere. Down here alotta folks use phony Owls & fake snakes, pie pans, etc etc. Those whirly-gig things actually seem to work the best to repel most birds.

But unfortunately for FL boaters the Osprey scoff at such 'deterrents'. An Osprey brain processes a motionless Owl or snake like this: '"He appears to be dead, better be, cuz if he makes a move whilst I'm eating/pooping I will ef him up."

Stringing monofilament is a no no. Citizens are no longer allowed to repel birds by means of fishing line. Heaven forbid one of the turd birds were to become entangled in your web. You'd be thrown in jail for animal cruelty.

If I had enough money I'd do it like the rich people on Boca Grande. Whack the bird with a really nice pellet gun. I'm told that leaving a rotting bird corpse on the roof for a couple days is by far the best deterrent ...