bimini up or down

jokaj

Seaman
During high winds (2 flag warning) do you have your bimini up or down when you boat? thanks

D

DJ

Re: bimini up or down

During high winds (2 flag warning) do you have your bimini up or down when you boat? thanks

It all depends on how much sun protection I want. Wind can mask the effects of the sun.

cwcollins06

Seaman

My top attaches to the top of the windshield and so we almost never run with it up, there's only like 4' of clearance underneath. You can't move around at all with it up.

IMAG0142.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Two flags is a gale warning. Not too many people out "boating" in 39-54 MPH winds around here

jokaj

Seaman

Agreed, but I was caught off guard this weekend. It was suppose to be a 1 flag warning and I also check the weather. It was suppose to be fine and then the winds picked up at the end of the day!

Two flags is a gale warning. Not too many people out "boating" in 39-54 MPH winds around here

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

three issues:
can your bimini survive the winds open? Most likely, yes, it will last longer than you will. They handle* 50 mph but your boat won't.

Are you concerned about performance? driving with the bimini up is like dragging an anchor. But that is just a trade-off. My wife and I run to the fishing grounds with it folded, open it and leave it open even if moving a mile or so, and fold it up for the run home. The wind compensates for the lack of shade.

Could it affect your safety? If you are caught in a gale your concern is to get to safety quickly. A bad gust on top of dangerous winds could catch your bimini and screw up your control of the boat, or break it loose and injure/distract you and the passengers.

*although it would add to the wear and tear, so it's not a good idea to do it regularly, or trailer it open.

haulnazz15

Captain

My top attaches to the top of the windshield and so we almost never run with it up, there's only like 4' of clearance underneath. You can't move around at all with it up.
View attachment 99332

Why wouldn't you run with it up in that case?! I don't normally move about the boat while underway, and it keeps it low profile so it doesn't catch wind. Your style of bimini (I have the same on mine only slightly larger) also offers more protection of water spray and rain. I rarely run with it up, but I prefer our style a lot more than I do the generic style that is found on most boats.

IMG_0720.jpg

emoney

Commander

Down if it's safe to put it down. Getting caught in 54mph winds in my little 19 footer, might mean it's getting "sacrificed" while I run for cover, lol.

I don't even like running WOT with mine open, however, so to each his own, I suspect.

haulnazz15

Captain

I realize that it differs from the traditional bimini top, but my argument was with the fellow with the "dodger" top if you want to be technical. I've never heard of anyone refer to the term dodger top, but everyone knows bimini. Are we saying that if you attach the front of the bimini to the windshield it becomes a dodger? Really just a matter of height at that point.

In any case, I would be folding down the bimini the OP was referring to in high winds since it would act like a parachute and possibly rip free in high winds. I'm sure it would have a similar impact on handling by causing the boat to list with the wind, which isn't usually desirable.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They are called dodger tops all the time, especially on sail boats. Yours really isn't technically a dodger either. Usually called a convertible top.

The top you have will catch way less wind that a bimini, especially from the front.

Are we saying that if you attach the front of the bimini to the windshield it becomes a dodger?
That part in front of the bimini is the dodger.

I have been on sailboats in very high winds and its very nice to have a well designed dodger up....but not a bimini.

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As soon as we unload the boat the bimini goes up (unless it is an unusally cloudy day) and stays up until loading on the trailer. Our last boat did not have one so we are taking full advantage of it. My boat will only run 45 to 50 mph, but usually im tubing or skiing below 30 or so. Our bimini fits just under the wake tower but high enough for me to stand under it (I'm 6'5").

skargo

Banned

Why wouldn't you run with it up in that case?! I don't normally move about the boat while underway, and it keeps it low profile so it doesn't catch wind. Your style of bimini (I have the same on mine only slightly larger) also offers more protection of water spray and rain. I rarely run with it up, but I prefer our style a lot more than I do the generic style that is found on most boats.

IMG_0720.jpg
I have one of those tops but never use it. I use the bimini for sun protection, and will run with it up at speeds up to 35mph.

The convertible top sucks in my case because with it up, and even with me sitting down, my head is trying to poke through! Plus, I run standing up, can't do that with that top.

cwcollins06

Seaman

Well, I guess mine is apparently a convertible and not a Bimini, but we never run with it up because when the driver is fully seated all the way down in the driver's seat (only way to fit under the top) visibility in front of and around the boat is terrible. That's why, like skargo, I always run either standing up or sitting on the top of the seatback which puts my head above the windshield so I can see what I'm going to hit (or hopefully not hit) ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

A lot of convertible tops have zippered sections at the helm which allows the driver to stand.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My bimini top sits really high and had her up over 55MPH with no issue (mind you - the tags say do not use over 35 MPH) oh well...

haulnazz15

Captain

Mine pictured above is zippered in the front section. I can roll back the center section or the driver's side and leave the rest intact. However, I am able to sit without fear of hitting my head on the top as there is decent headroom underneath. It does force you to look through the windshield though. It also has zippered sides/rear for the stratoglass canopy which I never use since I don't boat that late into the season.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The durabilty of a bimini top comes from the construction of the support system.

A bimini that uses 7/8" aluminum tubing and plastic hardware is not going to last long. A bimini using 1" stainless tubing and stainless hardware will withstand anything you're going to be making it back to the dock in anyhow.

I ran with my bimini up and the curtains up on the highway all the time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Mine certainly doesn't. I bet the one pictured earlier also doesn't.
I agree. I shouldn't have said a lot. I have made custom ones a long time ago that had that feature.