Bimini Top Vision Issues

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had my boat out in the rain a couple of days ago with the Bimini top up. damn thing fogged up, so I vented the cabin and it went away but that wasn't the main problem - The rain on the top made seeing almost impossible. granted, everyone was dry but couldn't see worth a damn.

I had to open up the starboard side front panel so that I could see. i could see thru the windshield but not the plastic. anyone else have this issue and what would be a good way to alleviate the vision problems.

boat6.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bimini Top Vision Issues

plastic windows are made more for the weather than for vision. There are products that make the rain sheet or bead off, but then there's the prospect that the product will harm the plastic. And you have to keep them clean, and reapply.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'll just get this out of the way now.....
2440776_std.jpg

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

plastic windows are made more for the weather than for vision. There are products that make the rain sheet or bead off, but then there's the prospect that the product will harm the plastic. And you have to keep them clean, and reapply.

I agree... probably gonna put something on the windshield to help with the beading anyway.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

look through the glass and install windshield wipers if you don't have them.... I think there is a rainx type product that is supposed to be safe for plastic too

hostage

Lieutenant

Get a DC powered fan and aim it at the window/windshield to defog?

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

actually thought of that... they used to use them for a similar purpose on our old school busses a loooong time ago

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can not find it now because I am work but, there was a u tube video on how to clean/restore the plastic to new....not sure if that would help in the rain but, the guy was using some sort of furniture type polish....worked real well in the video

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can not find it now because I am work but, there was a u tube video on how to clean/restore the plastic to new....not sure if that would help in the rain but, the guy was using some sort of furniture type polish....worked real well in the video

would be quite interested in seeing that... thx

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wife got all kinds of that! doesn't that stuff burn up plastic and vinyl especially in sunlight?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

i dunno... I've heard of using it sooo many times on motorcycle windshields but have remained skeptical.... personally I'll stick with products specifically for plastic but lots of folks claim great success with the pledge

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know if I am willing to try it without knowing for sure.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

This stuff works really well.

29eolxk.jpg

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know if I am willing to try it without knowing for sure.

We've been using pledge on plastic aircraft windshields for years with no problems at all. If we use it on them, using it on a boats plastic is a no brainer.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

interesting so far, thx guys - appreciate the advice/input. will see if we have anything at the marine shop specifically for the bimini clears.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This stuff works really well.

29eolxk.jpg

Use that on my motorcycle windshield, no issues at all.

I have the same issue with the rain on our plastic covers... it distorts the view so badly, I also stick my head out the side! lol That picture of Jim makes me think how silly I must look!