Bimini Top Selection

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Things to consider is getting in your way when up, proper height to function as you choose when it's up and where/how you going to store it. Next the sun never rests and neither does you boat on the water. So about the only time you can calculate your shade pattern is at high noon...sun vertical.

Take some time, think about it, get in the boat with others and pretend you had the top, go through the what if's and you should do alright.

I have had several and I thought I wanted a heavy duty one once. It was about 7' or so as I recall. I had it made from heavy rubber reinforced canvas and used ss bows. It was nice and tough alright, but it took two folks and a bear to do anything with it. I never saw an aluminum with the bows torn up so I'd make it alum and if you want it tougher, increase the diameter of the bows.

HTH and I've had half a dozen over the years.
Mark

Mark,

I'm going to purchase one also, I'm getting a 6' long x 64" wide. Would you suggest a 36" or a 46" height? I have a 16' open bow-rider.

Thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bimini Top Selection

Hey CJ,

I moved your post over to your own thread. Best to keep things separate as your issues may be entirely different than the last guy's. Good luck!

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey CJ,

I moved your post over to your own thread. Best to keep things separate as your issues may be entirely different than the last guy's. Good luck!

OK, thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner

For me, and there are a ton of opinions on this. I want to barely be able to stand up under the Bimini. The lower the top, the longer the shade lasts during the day. I also think it looks better.

eavega

Lieutenant

The lower the top, the longer the shade lasts during the day. I also think it looks better.

I agree that it looks better, but I also like to be able to stand under the top, especially if I am piloting the boat.

Here is what my 17' Bowrider looks like with a top. It looks a little goofy, and would probably look a lot more slick with a lower top, but the ability to walk from the bow, through the windshield, to the stern of the boat without having to duck is a plus for me.

For reference, my daughter is 52" tall. She is standing up in this picture.

Boat_Only_full.jpg

Rgds

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do any of you salt water users regret buying aluminum fittings/bows as compared to using stainless? The price difference is significant.