Bimini top frame

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a quick question.I just found a free Pontoon Bimini top that is in excellent shape.The only problem is it it about 2 feet to wide for my center console.What I am wondering is how to narrow it down and join the tubing back together so the canvas will still fit on it?
Thank you in advance.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bimini top frame

Well, if you cut the tubing you're also going to need to cut and reshape the canvas as well. Why not try bending the lateral tubing to make up the two foot of difference? Might look a tad bit strange but hey - it's free !!! :D

redfury

Commander

That would be my suggestion too...just make an "S" bend ( elongated ) so that the base is narrower.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

modifying the tube frame isn't too hard, but you will have too much material in the top itself then right? if you want directions to modify it I can send you a pdf file, PM me if you need that. I thought about doing something like what you are considering but decided to buy a new one fit to the boat instead. but since yours is free anyway....

Joe

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i actually like a wider top, to give more shade, just tweak the bends in a little, the deck mount will conpensate for the angle. a conduit bender works well.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank yall for the ideas.I think im gonna go ahead once I get some deck mounting hardware and try the bending the tubing thing and see how it works.Im like tashasdaddy I like as much shade and coverage as I can get and hey what can I say it was free...
Thank yall agin for your help.This is what makes this the best site on the net is the people here.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I narrowed a binimi top frame to fit my smaller boat. I also made my own top for it. Here is a photo of an original large bow, a reduced bow, and two pieces that were cut out, and the conduit bender I rented. The bender helped me bring in the bends a little to make it sit right.

Its very easy to do. This link will take you to the whole project:
http://shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,103,00.html

1368.jpg

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Thank yall for the ideas.I think im gonna go ahead once I get some deck mounting hardware and try the bending the tubing thing and see how it works.Im like tashasdaddy I like as much shade and coverage as I can get and hey what can I say it was free...
Thank yall agin for your help.This is what makes this the best site on the net is the people here.

Since it is from a pontoon boat, it might not be tall enough for your boat.