Bilge Question

mikroe

Cadet
I am new to boating. I have a '89 tracker 18' fish and ski with a Johnson Gt150 motor, a bass boat basically. The question I have is the amount of water that collects in the boat. I haven't fished out of it yet due to some family issues and I want to get more familiar with it anyway. I have my live well controls set at push to fill but haven't filled them with the pumps. Yesterday the wife and I went out for about an hour and a half. I did a couple of stops and then checked to see how fast it would accelerate and plane out it did pretty well. What concerned me was how much water was in the bilge when I ran the bilge pump and when I pulled out the plug. I was told once that bass boats tend to get a lot of water in them from water coming in over the transom when they are slowed down too quickly. My concern is a leak in the hull. Any advice would be appreciated

alldodge

Staff member
I am new to boating. I have a '89 tracker 18' fish and ski with a Johnson Gt150 motor, a bass boat basically. The question I have is the amount of water that collects in the boat. I haven't fished out of it yet due to some family issues and I want to get more familiar with it anyway. I have my live well controls set at push to fill but haven't filled them with the pumps. Yesterday the wife and I went out for about an hour and a half. I did a couple of stops and then checked to see how fast it would accelerate and plane out it did pretty well. What concerned me was how much water was in the bilge when I ran the bilge pump and when I pulled out the plug. I was told once that bass boats tend to get a lot of water in them from water coming in over the transom when they are slowed down too quickly. My concern is a leak in the hull. Any advice would be appreciated

:welcome: to iboats

Unless your seeing the water come over the stern when you stop and go in the bilge, it's probably not coming in that way. Check under the seats and trace the live well pump lines. Many times the lines will crack and start leaking water in. Just put the boat in the water and start looking, you will find the leak

mikroe

Cadet
This may sound like a rookie question but then I am a rookie. I haven't had a chance to put it in the water yet but I was wondering. I know the 2 valves on bot sides of the drain are for filling and draining the live wells But above the drain hole is another hole with a white ring around it. On the inside of the boat it looks like it's attached to a hose that looks like the type you would use on a camper for fresh water. What's this hole and hose for.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As mentioned, livewell fill and drain tubes can be an issue on an older boat. Cracked hoses, loose connections, etc.

Also, you have a livewell through hull water intake at the lower part of the transom. Is it sealed correctly. Also, is your drain plug sealed correctly.

ANY through hull fitting is suspect.