bilge pump

cashtim

Cadet
Do you have to have a bilge pump on your boat if you are just doing basic lake driving. I think mine has stop working. I just want to know if I need one or will I be ok. I have a 1993 Raven with outboard mecru moter. Can you just get by with just doing the plug pull out way.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: bilge pump

I forget the exact wording but I believe you are required to have some means of bailing water whether it be manual or electric.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I cannot imagine anyone venturing onto any body of water without a working bilge pump. I guess my response would be how good a swimmer are you? Bilge pumps are about $20 bucks. If you have small children or non-swimmers on your boat, you are risking their safety. Have you tried troubleshooting it. Perhaps it's as simple as a disconnected wire or blown fuse due to some debris that is preventing the pump impeller from turning. They snap apart for cleaning and inspection.

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Where does a bilge pump get installed then? My boat never had one and I'd like one too.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At the back of the boat down in the lowest spot posible.. 4 inches in front of the drain plug hole..

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had boats with no pump but the only time i would ever say don't worry about it is on a small inland lake. A good rain storm will flood your boat faster then you think. We used to do the old pull the plug and get on a plain as fast as you can trick but its alot nicer being able to flip a switch. I got caught in a storm today on the ICW and while trying to get back to the marina my automatic switch kicked the pump on and started pumping it out, but i think if your in any real danger of sinking its not gonna save you.

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Where is it supposed to exit the boat?

Dakota47

up at the top of transom or port side of boat. mine is a thru hull White fitting at the port upper rear(see pics), if your boat is a outboard you could just run the hose to the engine drain well like some do..
000_2265.jpg

Dakota47

Just flip the hose into the engine drain well for a outboard(pics) i was goin to put one in here but i sold it
000_2209.jpg

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class

go to your local walmart and buy one hook it to your battery and run the hose out over the side of the boat see people with jons out using this method regularly

Dakota47

Yep i have seen that too, it works for the small jon boats..

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like a plan. My boat is an outboard so I could drain it to the transom well. What is a "jon boat?"

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

A basic boat. With benches (or fishing seat). Sit at the back with a tiller arm on an outboard. No cap on it.

I am not sure of where you're from but in Canada you need to have a bailer regardless if you have a bilge pump or not. Some manual bailer (Milk jug or fancy hand pump....) They don't count the bilge pump. I guess in case the battery runs out.

On a similar topic... do you need a drain plug? I mean... if there is no hole of course... :) I haven't drilled out my drain plug since pouring the SEACAST transom. I haven't had time and was unsure of exactly what I would need when doing so. Do you think it is very important to have one?

es_bob

Seaman Apprentice

I'd say a drain plug would be nice unless you get every drop of water out of the boat every time its off the water. I pull the plug every time I put it on the trailer and a little water comes out (probably 8 ounces) then on the drive home, anything else thats in the boat would run to the back and out the drain hole.

It would be especially nice if your boat took on a lot of water while out for the day... Just my two cents.