Bilge pump placement

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am still debating where and how to instal my bilge pumps. I have a stern drive so I plan to put one very close to the transom which is the lowest point. But the other pumps I am unsure how to install them. The bilge area is kind of a "V" shape and then has the walls on the side. What is a good way to install them and where should I place the float switches?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Bilge pump placement

I run 2 on mine, a 500 and 1100, the 500 is at the lowest point all the way back in the bilge, the 1100 is slightly up on the V so it doesn't kick on with just rain water and I put an alarm on it so I know right away if I left the plug out or I have a big leak.

I would put the floats pointing toward the center line of the boat so you don't get too much water

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should the pump be higher than the float?

cribber

Lieutenant

My pump is about an inch or so lower that the float switch.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes, you want the float to turn the pump on as soon as possible, if the float is above the pump it will take that much more water to get it to trip.

Put the primary flat in the middle with the float and pump level, so in line with the boat, the second mount beside it with the float toward the middle of the boat, that way they won't both trip at the same time but it wil still come on fairly soon.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run 2 on mine, a 500 and 1100, the 500 is at the lowest point all the way back in the bilge, the 1100 is slightly up on the V so it doesn't kick on with just rain water and I put an alarm on it so I know right away if I left the plug out or I have a big leak.

I would put the floats pointing toward the center line of the boat so you don't get too much water

++1