Bilge pump hose splice (seems simple, right?)

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys I picked up an older 270t and doing some work on it. It appears the previous owner cut one of the bilge pump hoses for reasons beyond comprehension. The pumps are clearly visible, but just out of reach making replacement of the hose difficult if not impossible without removing one of the engines. This led me to the thought of just splicing the two hoses together. Well after some measuring and a visit from that jerk murphy, it looks like the hose is 1 1/8 inch. I have looked through the hardware section at Lowes, and on West Marine and Iboats pages but just can't find any barbed fittings in this size. Have I missed something? Did the bilge pump manufacturers do this on purpose to prevent people like me from doing this? Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Bilge pump hose splice (seems simple, right?)

With hoses you go by the ID not the OD. and the ID, inside diameter is all ways in standard sizes and this allows for different wall thicknesses, light, medium and heavy duty thicknesses which gives you a different OD on any given hose size. Now in your case as a pure guess a light duty hose with a 1 1/8 OD may be a 1 inch ID with a 1/16 wall, A 1 inch or 3/4 ID is a common bilge pump sizes. Old hoses are hare to work with because they get hardened over time and don't like to stretch over fittings, a bit of heat from a hair dryer can often help out but be careful with any sort of a heating device around a motor because of fuel fumes. Hope that helps.

tpenfield

Staff member

+1

for the 1" fitting and the hair dryer to soften the hose ends up before you put it together. Maybe some SS clamps on the hoses as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

My boat also has 1 1/8" bilge hose. somewhere in the marine past, some marine only fitting supplier for thru-hull fittings made it standard.

it is also the OD of a piece of copper tube ;) I simply solder a small piece of wire around the end for a hose bead.

there are thru-bulkhead fittings that you could use as a splice if needed. there are also male and female threaded connectors.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

it is also the OD of a piece of copper tube ;) I simply solder a small piece of wire around the end for a hose bead.

there are thru-bulkhead fittings that you could use as a splice if needed. there are also male and female threaded connectors.

Pretty ingenious, Scott. Thumbs up.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat also has 1 1/8" bilge hose. somewhere in the marine past, some marine only fitting supplier for thru-hull fittings made it standard.

Scott, that was a pretty ingenious idea! I just looked up the OD on 1 inch copper tubing and sure enough it's 1 1/8 inch, exactly what I was looking for. I will have to rummage through my ends bucket, I think I may have t inch laying around. Thanks for the idea!

UncleWillie

Captain

They are as hard to find as Hen's Teeth.
You just need to find the right dentist!

Check HERE!

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

They are as hard to find as Hen's Teeth.
You just need to find the right dentist!

Check HERE!

Thanks Wiilie, and i agree! I spent some time googling for them and no luck. I was particularly surprised when most of the marine supply houses stock pumps specing 1 1/8 inch outlets, carry 1 1/8 hose, even the thru hulls, just no other fitting types. I just needed to to find the right guys!

CR CRUISER

Seaman

I use a 1" nylon hose joiner with HD heat shrink on it to make up the diameter to 1-1/8".

UncleWillie

Captain

Thanks Willie, and i agree! I spent some time googling for them and no luck. I was particularly surprised when most of the marine supply houses stock pumps specing 1 1/8 inch outlets, carry 1 1/8 hose, even the thru hulls, just no other fitting types. I just needed to to find the right guys!

It is the same hose used to connect Swimming Pool Filters to the Pool Pumps.
Common sizes in the pool world are 1-1/4 and 1-1/2.

I suppose that it is so inexpensive, that splicing it is more work and costs more than replacing the entire hose!
The demand just isn't there.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Have I missed something?

The West Marine catalog (p. 516) is showing a 1 1/8" to 1 1/8" nylon pipe fitting, cleverly hidden in the "N. Plastic Hose Reducers, Barbed" section.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I always get brass ones from weather head through NAPA

UncleWillie

Captain

I can't find where Weather Head makes anything for 1-1/8 Barbed.

If you choose your search terms very carefully at WM Online, you can get the MarineEast adapters in the results.
WM apparently has an 88% markup in the fitting. $2.81 >>> $5.29

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Scott, that was a pretty ingenious idea! I just looked up the OD on 1 inch copper tubing and sure enough it's 1 1/8 inch, exactly what I was looking for. I will have to rummage through my ends bucket, I think I may have t inch laying around. Thanks for the idea!

I used to work for a heat exchanger manufacturer. the same one that supplies Mercruiser, Pleasurcraft, Cat, Cummins, John Deere, etc. nothing special about half the marine heat exchangers. they are all copper tubes and fittings brazed together. I used to have access to a really slick bead roller for putting beads on tubes, however the wire and solder thing works slick.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Pez! Now I will have to go down to my local WM and see if they have it. Hopefully it's not a special order...