bilge drian

remus

Cadet
How do you remove and replace the metal sleeved bilge drain hole in the transom? A buddy said the metal sleeve that the plug screws into is put in with some kind of tool. Of course I don't have one and am thinking it's got to be easier than that. Is there a sleeve that fits in like a regular through hull with a nut? How do I remove the sleeve thats there now (it is not sealed/put in properly). Thanx.

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice
Re: bilge drian

a sleeve is installed and using a flaring tool to flare out the end on the other side. Why would you want to replace it? is it damaged or just loose? if its loose you can pull it out a little, and smear it with gorilla glue or something else that is water proof and expands and it will be in there forever.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I had to put in new sleeves when I did my project. the tool makes life easier, but is not necessary. What I did was cut mine so there was about 3/16 inch protruding out the other side when fully inserted. I then liberally coated the sleeve and the hole in the transom with 3M 5200. I inserted the sleeve from the inside, and braced it in using a peice of wood cut to length. From the outside I used a hammer and a socket extension to carefully tap the edges over, creating the flair. I went from side to side, like when you tighen lug nuts on a wheel. I did this until the flair was fully formed and holding the sleeve in tightly. Let the 3M 5200 cure, and that sleeve will never move or leak. Good luck...

remus

Cadet

Thanks guys. It appears the sleeve was put in wrong and it doesn't go all the way through the transom. That's why I am replacing it. Does anyone know where I can buy the sleeve and tool?

Pun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't use either of those for a bilge draintube. They're made for splashwells or livewells that are not under the water line.