Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
"Doesn't look the greatest"

I think you and I have RADICALLY different definitions of what that means. Incredible job!

Ned L

Commander
I'll take it. When can I pick her up, Ned? :rolleyes:

I think she's all set for you now.

It was that time of the year this past Tuesday (a couple of unrelated delays over the past couple of weeks delayed this).

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
OMG! That is one handsome boat. The craftmanship you do for this restoration just kills me and makes me Happy all at once. Floating History!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Beautiful boat Ned! And a beautiful day to lanch her on!

Did she take on much water this time?

Cheers...……………..Todd

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wow just Wow! She is so beautiful. Absolutely Stunning. I think she brings allot of class and elegance to the dock.I'm sure the other boat owners are happy to see her in her slip

Ned L

Commander
3D7AED72-8664-4C4E-9BF5-230FDE7A9324.jpeg Thanks everyone

I worked with lawn sprinklers under her and a trickling garden hose in her for 4-6 weeks before she went in. When she first went in the pump came on about every minute and 15 seconds. By bedtime the first night it was ssomewhere around 20 minutes (spent that night aboard). By the end of the next day it was maybe every 40 minutes or so. Now,.. I would take a guess at no more than once an hour or less. I’m pleased for a 61 year old lapstrake bottom.

I had her out for a while yesterday, and we were out for the day today.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is such a beautiful boat Ned. Are you going to name her, or just let her be anonymous?

Ned L

Commander
Thank you.
I was hoping to put the name on the transom this spring, but the weather was so crappy (cold, rainy, windy etc) I didn’t get a number of things accomplished. I had wanted to start taking the hull down to bare wood to start over again with new paint, but again the weather was not cooperating. —- She has too many layers of incomparable black paint (paint sick) and needs to start again fresh.

Last edited:

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Hmmmmmm, "The name"? Oh, ok. I think I know what you've got in mind now. I was thinking of a name for our own boat and showed the wife the name that CaptErich had suggested. She loved it! We'll see. Don't know if I can do it. :) Probably won't.

We're lucky, our boats never had a name. Sounds like the re-naming and ceremony is a pretty involved process.

So I presume re-polarizing the generator and adjusting the regulators took care of the charging issues?

Cheers.................................Todd

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
omg... where is that wiper motor:) i cant even look at this boat anymore its so incomplete:) lol man it is a beautiful boat i have re read the story a few times:)

Fcdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bravo! ..... Beautiful restoration. ..... Beautiful Boat. ..... !!!
A wood Boat will last forever..... if properly maintained ...... my 60 years young Mt Desert Island Sloop is still sailing strong !