Big twin Fuel Delivery?

Robert Ellis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I’m working on several mid-60s 33 hp and 40 hp evinrudes (a few of them are Johnsons). To give myself a break from ignition systems, I’m starting to look at fuel delivery and I have a few questions. All of the 33s and a few of the 40’s have a fuel pump where the fuel enters and exits from the side. Most of the 40s have fuel pumps with fuel lines coming and going from the bottom.
How does a person determine the diameter of a fuel hose – pulling it off the nipple of the fuel pump and measuring doesn’t seem to help much because the hose is swollen there from being on the nipple?
On the 33’s (and one of the 40s) there is a discrepancy between the sizes of the hoses that go to the fuel pump and the ones that leave the fuel pump (I’m guessing at least 2 sizes down – one has a newer hose and is stamped 5/32). Is this as it should be? On the 40’s both the fuel lines appear to be equal. Does a 33 really require that much less fuel than a 40 – or am I looking at this correctly?
On one of the 33s (with side hoses) the hoses to and from the pump point to the carb (and … the word ‘out’ is upside down. On all others, the hoses point away from the carb and the word ‘out’ is as it should be. Is this likely to be a problem for the reversed one?
Assuming I can figure the correct size of fuel lines to get, are there any Canadians out there who can tell me where in Canada to get clear lines? My internet searches have been futile and the shipping from the States kills me. As part of the line replacement, I’m thinking I should put in those very inexpensive in-line fuel filters – presumably before the fuel pump? They have 2 swollen bits on each stem (for different size fuel lines). If you’re using the larger swollen bit, should the smaller bit be cut off to open the passageway a bit or do you just slip the line over both bits? Also, does it matter at all if the filter ends up sitting horizontal or vertical.
I have many OMC gas tanks that are likely the same era as these motors. They have the cool little glass bubbles with a gauge inside. Many of them though, when I attach a hose and pump a little start bubbling at the little pins where the hose connects to the tank. That can’t be good? I presume there is a seal or O ring or something in there. Does anyone know where to get them and … how do you get at the fitting to replace?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You pop the welch plug out.-----Then replace the o-ring and install a new welch plug.----Any BRP dealer will get you the parts.------These steel tanks are far better than the new plastic junk !

Robert Ellis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok ... thanks for the seal info .... I've never removed a welch plug - do you carefully drill then pry ---- and then punch the new one when in place?

I agree about the old tanks ... they're even easier to carry and they don't slide all over the boat! And those glass gauges are just cool lol. A do worry a bit about the red paint flaking off and somehow getting in the tank though.