Big Twin 35 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently acquired a 1957 (I believe) 35hp big twin by accident. I'm confused on what spark plugs I can use. The internet calls for a RJ8C. So far, my search locally hasn't gone well. Is there another plug I can get locally? There were 2 autolite plugs in it. So far the motor has spark on both cylinders according to my little spark tester. Also there is a wire soldered to a pin on the bottom of throttle shaft. I have no idea where it belongs since it's cut. I'll see about getting a resized picture of it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Champion J6C. DO NOT use the R-series plug! It has a resistor gap in it and can damage your ignition, or at least make it erratic.

That little doodad is the Mercury switch. It's job is to prevent the motor from being started with too much throttle, or more likely, to keep them from being started at high throttle, in gear. They are often clipped out of the circuit.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll most likely just unsolder the wire and use common sense. Locally, everyone wants to cross reference that J6C to something else... like an Autolite plug. Do you have any experience with a different plug, or should I just be patient and order some?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I've used NGK B6S on occasion. No problems with them. AC M44C were used, too, but never really used them myself.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's looking like I can get the NGK 3510 which crosses from the B6s. I'm going to convert the old fuel system to single line, put some new plugs in her, and get some ethanol free gas mix to see what happens. My boat is a 1958 and the motor that was on it started having wrist pin issues. I ran across this motor and I'm hoping to be hooking it up this weekend. I'm hoping my wife can pick out a color that's kinda close to the original gray/blue color and make it look good again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I recently acquired a 1957 (I believe) 35hp big twin by accident. I'm confused on what spark plugs I can use.

I've read all of the posts/replies...... The factory recommended spark plug and the alternative is: Champion J4C and J6C... none other.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't see J4C as a replacement for the J6C. Am I missing something? Is the number designation for the heat range for Champion?

Status
Not open for further replies.