Big Rock

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Big Rock

As I mentioned in a previous post, I tend to agree with you ^^^^^^^ But there are a ton of people that think every dollar you spent on your boat is a waste of money and should've been given to charity. I don't agree with them, but the value of art is truly opinion :)

chriscraft254

Commander

As I mentioned in a previous post, I tend to agree with you ^^^^^^^ But there are a ton of people that think every dollar you spent on your boat is a waste of money and should've been given to charity. I don't agree with them, but the value of art is truly opinion :)

Hey, I have been called an artist:D, So I am going to build a replica of my boat but make it about 80 times the size it is now just to commemorate the great history of Chris Craft! Anyone want to donate to the building cost of 10 million, I won't even cause any issues with tranporting it, I will build onsite,lol This is nothing but a show!! Its simply ridiculous. Is the artist paying for it too be moved? Or are the tax payers? Just asking because I waste my own money on my boat, not other peoples money.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Read the article. It is all private donations.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I know, me too . . . the odd thing to me in these combos is the pusher truck. They must know what they're doing, but I have a hard time believing that even that many axles, and that much weight needs 1200 bhp to move at 5 MPH. Seems like the pull ought to be enough. Heck they do more than a third of that weight in Australia at 45 MPH with a single 500 hp tractor.

i would love to give that thing a go with my 12 valve cummins.

With a rig that long a pusher is needed to get around even gentle curves.

mannnnn........the guy driving the pusher better not be asleep at the wheel.....crabbing, up hill, corners, ,,,,better be in the right gear with the right pressure on the pedal, ......that one is almost a job for automation !

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Why not just get some explosives,make it a lot of smaller rocks,and haul it in dump trucks.?:D

sasto

Captain

Why not just get some explosives,make it a lot of smaller rocks,and haul it in dump trucks.?:D

Put them in a box labeled "Pet Rock" and make $20mil. Then go find yourself another rock.

Kidding aside....I find this very interesting. We have several top of the line big sportfish boats built here in my area. Some need to be transported to the water by truck. This is done in the middle of the night because traffic is halted and powerlines need to come down. The streets are packed with onlookers. I can see the excitement in moving something that big.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I went to see it yesterday. The rock itself doesn't seem that big. The rig is cool, but I was surprised how old the Tractors were. I am guessing they were at last 20 years old, and probably 30. No way 600 horsepower, the pusher had an 8V71. So 400ish I think. I'll post some pics soon. The trailer is waaaaay cool. The axles and even each side seem individually steerable. Unnaturally so the way it was parked.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't imagine why this country is so far in debt lol. Donations or not, it is ridiculous to spend 10 million to make a rock go 5mph! Now if the rock was doing say 85 mph or had a zero to 60 in under 7 seconds I would be impressed and may donate 5 bucks to see that happen.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shrink wrapped the rock OMG....... That has to be the kicker right there lmao. The rock has been outside in the elements for hundreds of millions of years and man shrink wraps it to save it from the weather during transport :facepalm:

QC

Supreme Mariner

The wife just asked the same question, but I think it is probably to protect it from any vandalism. They could hit it with paint from any overpass.

BTW, I am not defending this whole endeavor, never have. It's just a weird/interesting story about moving a big flippin' rock if you ask me. And as I pointed out earlier, private parties can do whatever they want with their money, stupid or not. Personally I think $10M could provide a lot decent size fresh water supply for some very needy community, but we'll never get our arms around that discussion ;)

sasto

Captain

BTW, I am not defending this whole endeavor, never have. It's just a weird/interesting story about moving a big flippin' rock if you ask me.

I will defend it if I may. That kind of money more than likely came from some wealthy folks. They probably have more sitting somewhere not being used. Where did the $10mil go? Probably to the average working guy like myself. The working guy (like myself) will take the lady out to dinner, pay some bills....or whatever. Look at the crowd in the streets. My guess is they are spending some money also. It's a trickle down effect.

And by the way....in my business...I don't recall making a dime off of a poor guy.....but I've made a few dimes off some wealthy ones.

Let them spend their money anyway they wish, Rant over....No desire to stir the pot on this one. (Maybe I already did, just an opinion)

I think I will give the Bossman a call. Have him pick me up in his jet. Fly west. Spend a couple days in a motel. Eat out 3 meals a day. :rolleyes: California could use the money.

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad they didn't forget the OVERSIZE LOAD sign on the front of the trator.:rolleyes: Maybe they should have used the INSANELY OVERSIZE LOAD sign on this one!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I understand that argument too sasto. That's one of the reasons I don't get worked up about it for sure. There are the workers at the Museum too, the transport guys etc. And your argument keeps it all in the country too. That discussion alone could get this thread closed. I know me posting to it sends a mixed message, but I'm actually hoping we're keeping a lid on it as well.

puddle jumper

Captain

I saw it on the news. Wow thats a lot of money for a big chunk of stone. What gets me its not that big and to make a trailer just to carry it. Like they said on the news, someone with more money than smarts if you ask me.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

That trailer they made is awesome no doubt! I wonder if all the gold at Fort Knox could be hauled with that bad boy?

aspeck

Staff member

I'm all for Art. ... What is 'Art' to me may not be to you.

I am glad I have SOMEONE in my corner ... but I tend to think that I am the same no matter who is around:p

mscher

Lieutenant

People probably thought that the carving of Mt. Rushmore, was a big waste of money, too.

Maybe this just shows that Americans, are still capable, of doing something out of the ordinary.

It's done with private mony anyway, as other's have noted.