Big Air H2O Tower review.

Hunters Dad

Cadet
Hey guys!
After quite a bit of research on the web and this site back in June, I finally purchased and installed a 'Big Air H2O' tower on my 2005 Bayliner 175. Like many, I was looking for an affordable tower that was sturdy and looked decent. I see a lot of info and posts about the Aerial towers, but haven't seen many posts about the Big Air towers. I gotta tell ya - I am EXTREEMLY happy with this purchase. I bought the tower and board rack and was out the door (including shipping) for $1003.00. This tower is stainless steel (not aluminum) which I thought would hold up a little better, and although it isn't polished like the aluminum towers, I think the brushed look makes it look unique (by the way, you can get them in many different colors for a few dollars more).

I am not affiliated with the company in any way and this is actually the first tower I have installed or even owned. I wanted to use it a bit before I posted anything about it (good or bad). We just got back from a week-long outing where we burned a full tank of fuel every day for a week. This tower is rock solid - I didn't hear ANY creaks or groans from it at ALL. There is absolutely NO sway from side to side - I think the dual upper bar with side bar supports help this out quite a bit. Everyone in our group (6 of us) was able to pop right out of the water - including 2 that had never gotten up before, and the more experienced riders were able to jump wak-to-wake with so much ease that they were quickly trying much more advanced tricks.

Installation went well - it took a full weekend (mostly because I attempted it with just the help of my 15 year old son - not the greatest attention span). I would recommend having a buddy or 2, a full day and maybe a 12 pack. My existing Bimini did not fit under this tower, so unfortunately I had to order a tower-mounted bimini (found a pretty good deal on one on e-bay). That was disappointing, and added to the cost of the upgrade, but I suppose it was mostly my fault, since the company's web site advertised that their towers are designed to fit over existing Bimini tops, but I should call with my bimini measurements to confirm it would fit - I did not do this. I actually didn't need to call them at all - the instructions were very clear and easy to follow - they actually sent me the installation instructions via pdf format a week ahead of my order, so I was able to go over them before the tower even arrived - this allowed me to gather up all the tools I would need to be ready to go.

I know many people on this site are in the market for an affordable tower (just like I was) so I just wanted to put up a quick post to and give a shout out for this great product - great deal on a solid tower! I tried to upload some pics, but it says the file is too large?

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Big Air H2O Tower review.

Thank you for this! Just like a lot of us lurking around this site, I am looking for a tower that I can put on my boat without breaking the bank. Glad to hear yours was a success! Would love to see pics of your installation if you can get them to work.

Did you use plywood inside the hull like lots of people suggest? Any other tips/tricks you used?

Hunters Dad

Cadet

Yep.
I just went with the 1/4" ply with the PL Adhesive. Although 1/4" ply seems thin, the truth is (on my boat anyway) that was as thick as I could go due to the length of the mounting bolts - any thicker backing and there wouldn't have been much bolt left to go through the mounting nut.

I wish I could figure out why my pics won't upload - I love how this tower looks on my boat. But anyway, check out their web site - they have a HUGE gallery of boats with their towers installed - chancer are you will find one like yours or darn close to it.

I suppose I used a lot of info I got from here. This web site is very helpful!

Hunters Dad

Cadet

boat 1j.jpg
boat 2j.jpg

Ah-HA!
I think I got it figured out!
Here are a couple of pics of the tower installed!

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a tower from them as well and love it. This is the second one I own. The first was on a Nautique and this one is on my Bayliner 195.

DSCF0028-2.jpg

Hunters Dad

Cadet

Length is 17.5'
I'm trying to remember the measurements I took for the tower...I think the front legs were measured at 78" apart and the rear legs were 75" apart.

allzway

Cadet

Thanks for posting the review and pics. I am also looking, reading and trying to decide what is the best option for a tower for our Tahoe Q5i.

I would prefer one that doesn't require a new bimini top and folds down pretty easy to get in my shop.

James

Hunters Dad

Cadet

This tower does fold down to below the windshield. I think part of the reason my bimini didn't fit under this tower is because my old bimini was quite large - and because I didn't call the company ahead of time to get info on how my bimini would fit.

This is where I got the tower mount bimini:
but the price has gone up by $40 since I bought one in June...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Tower...254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a8f0118e

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also have a Big Air H2O tower on my 2000 Four Winns 200 Horizon. Our factory bimini top does fit under the tower, but we have to take it loose to fold it up then re-attach it. I have never heard a squeak from this tower. They are very affordable and are built very sturdy.

linuxusr

Cadet

I love my H2O. I got mine this year and installed it with a buddy in a day. Mine has a small squeak in the upper crossmember were the legs connect. My brother in law also has a H2O his is bout 8 years old. He wold me to squirt a little WD40 to kill the squeak. I spent a few months looking over towers before I made the decision to go with them.
As you will see in the pic I also have their Super Shadow Bimini.
IMG_1453.jpg

allzway

Cadet

It is hard to believe I posted in this thread nearly two years ago, but I finally bought and installed a BigAir H2O tower on our Tahoe Q5i.

I will get some better pics up later, but here it is still in my shop after the install. I was able to modify by factory bimini top to work. I had to narrow the front bow by aoubt 8 inches.

IMG_0489.jpg

Hunters Dad

Cadet

I can't believe this thread is still going!!
Great looking set up allzway!!!
Its been on my boat a couple years now and not a single problem!!
I still love it as much as the first day!!

jjschwi

Cadet

i have one on my sea ray 182 srx, and i love the tower, but did you know that you can not pull tubers with this tower! i just learned this after last years season. I guess the tubers pull force is to great for this tower and the attachment points to your boat, so be aware of this.

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have one on my 05 Crownline 202BR. It's been on the boat since 06 and still working well.
I still remember that nauseating feeling I had about drilling holes in my boat.:)