BF100 mid 80's worth buying ?

Rod Holder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,<br />I'm making the switch from 2 stroke to 4. Is the subject Honda a solid outboard ?<br /><br />I'm looking at 2 different ones at the moment and was wondering if they are troublesome and if there are things to watch out for.<br /><br />Thanks........RH

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: BF100 mid 80's worth buying ?

You are thinking of buying a piece of equipment that is 20 years old give or take.With that in mind,there are always things to look out for.Look at the engine itself.Do'es it look like it has been treated with love and dignity.They all will have a few dings and scratches ,etc,but if it looks like it has been beat up and ignored,it likely has been.You will certainly want to hear it run and make sure that includes running with the engine cover on for awhile to make sure there are no exhaust leaks at the tube.A compression and leakdown test would be nice to give you an idea of the upper health of this unit.That ought to get you started.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hondon<br /> did they make a bf100 in the eighties? we could only get 90's in the early 90's and the 130's in the mid 90's on this coast.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt,<br />The bf100 was a 10 hp model. :) <br /><br />Nav :cool:

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Over here in good old England, the BF100 (very confusing 100 being a 10hp)was used widely on the inland waterway in the 80's. We can still see quite a few of them being used either in freshwater or as aux on coastal boats. <br /><br />They are thought of solid and bullit proof if looked after. They can still fetched on Ebay £300+, while a 2 stroke mid 90's mercury will have a hard time fetching £250.<br /><br />I used to have one on my Shetland, as a back up, it sounded really sweet, really really quiet compared to my Johnson 30hp 2 stroke. and on the few occasions I had to use it to get home, it hardly touched the petrol in the can.<br /><br />Just make sure it's a well looked after one and you won't be disappointed.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ohh kinda like a merc 110 or a merc 200 :) <br /> I got it.

Rod Holder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys,<br />I ended up buying one. After getting some fresh fuel thru it, it starts well and idles fine.<br /><br />One question. The water circulation tell-tail is a steady stream but remains cold although engine is at operating temprature. Is the routing on these engines such that the above is OK ?<br /><br />All my other OB's tell-tails would reflect engine tempreture to some degree.<br /><br />Any words of wisdom appreciated.......RH

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couldn't tell ya, I'd not bothered to check the temp when I had the 100, although I haven't any problems when it ran for a while. I don't think it ran as hot as my jofnson 30 tho. Maybe the engine isn't running at full rpm so temp isn't too high, or the water is coming out hotter, but not noticeably hotter, get a thermometer and check if the water temp has changed or not.